Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walk behind loaders

Any body running them? how do you like them? thinking of adding one or maybe a 7-8k track loader. Have a bobcat mt 50 located for 4k with 1200 hours. Tired of hauling around a 12000 lb machine all of the time.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Any body running them? how do you like them? thinking of adding one or maybe a 7-8k track loader. Have a bobcat mt 50 located for 4k with 1200 hours. Tired of hauling around a 12000 lb machine all of the time.
We run an MT52, it is a great machine. We have the trencher and tiller attachments.
I heard that the MT50's have problems? I have never ran one but thats what i heard. You should do more research on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behind loaders

The bobcats do require their own mounting plate and attachments as far as I know, which can be a downfall when renting attachments. The 52 is definitely a refined version of the 50, it had issues like all machines do
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We purchased a Vermeer 600 tx diesel about 6 months ago and have used it quite a bit now. We like it because it is compact, powerful and we throw it on our single axle 5*10 trailer.
They are a good investment in my opinion
Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You may also want to look at a Terex PT30. It's a little wider than most walk behinds (48"), but offers characteristics similar to a track loader. I've used both Bobcats, Dingos and a PT30 and unless you really need a width narrow than 48" or have issues with getting in and out of a cab, the PT30 outworked the walk behinds- traction, speed, ground clearance, lift height, flotation, bucket breakout, and it has a heated enclosed cab for cold or wet weather ( a big plus here in WI considering we're in blizzard conditions here right now!).
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behind loaders

I utilized my ramrod in many situations that a pt30 wouldn't fit. If you plan on using it in between gates, for sod installs and such get a walk behind unit or stand on. It sounds like you have more skid steer style work though. A pt30 still weighs over 3k pounds, so you can't put it on a single axle like you could an mt52. The work you're doing with it will determine your route
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
I utilized my ramrod in many situations that a pt30 wouldn't fit. If you plan on using it in between gates, for sod installs and such get a walk behind unit or stand on. It sounds like you have more skid steer style work though. A pt30 still weighs over 3k pounds, so you can't put it on a single axle like you could an mt52. The work you're doing with it will determine your route
Well said, if width and getting in and out of a machine are problems than a walk behind is a better choice. Towing 3,300lbs around these days isn't that difficult though. My fiancé's Honda Ridgeline can do that easily.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The MT52's are a ton of fun to run. I get the chance to use one with a client and it amazes me what it can do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
The MT52's are a ton of fun to run. I get the chance to use one with a client and it amazes me what it can do.
Posted via Mobile Device
They are real money makers if you have the work for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am wanting the smaller size since we already run large track loaders. I could not find to much bad about the 50, tracks come off a little easy, maintenance items are hard to access. Anybody run into any major problems?