Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Best harness, spikes, and rope?

Hello,
I am looking to know what is the best harness, spikes and rope. I am wondering if anyone would care to reccomend? Static rope only needs to be 120' - 150'. If possible you can include a high quality- budget alternative.
thank you very much for any help you can provide
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a climbing belt brand new it's a small if you want it.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's probably none of my business...but this concerns me from a safety standpoint. Being a tree climber isn't something you just jump into. It's something you need to be taught...an apprentice type thing, not the kind of thing you just start doing. I don't know if you've climbed before, but your questions make me think you're not very familiar with it. There are all sorts of techniques that you really need to be shown and practice under the watchful eye of someone with experience. I had an opportunity to learn to climb when I was a groundman for a friend of mine and learned some basics, but decided I'd rather be on the ground, lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, it's a lot harder than it looks, and very very physically challenging. Don't ever try to do it by yourself, there are technics(sp) involved that need to be taught by a professional.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the posts above. I entered this industry as an Arborist. I went to a vocational high school for Arboriculture. It is definitely something what should be trained by someone with experience. My impression from your post is that you have no experience and are not receiving training from anybody, as you would probably ask them these simple question.

I will answer some of your questions, climbing spikes I prefer Buckingham. Harnesses, I prefer Weaver, one particular harness in particular, but Buckingham is definitely the most common harness manufacturer. It comes down to personal preference. I know a number of guys who swear buy the same Buckingham model with the single but stap. I hate it and find it crushes my boys. They get into my Weaver with separate leg straps and they hate it and some say it cuts of circulation to their legs. The best thing to do is not buy your harness from a website or catalog, go to a local distributor who has models you can try on, particularly one who has a robe suspended from the ceiling, so that you can see how the harness works and feels with body thrusting and foot locking techniques. What is also important is how it feels when using the different D rings with a split tail, lanyards, presic loops, etc... This may not seem like a big deal, but these side D rings allow for better body placement when making cuts. I would much rather give up a little comfort when ascending or descending to have a little more comfort and security when making cuts.

All that said I strongly recomend havng someone with experience do the work and not try to attempt learning it on your own. Also check with your insurance, as most general liability for landscaping does not cover climbing, working on latters over a certain number of feet, or felling trees over a certain height.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the response
i appreciate your concerns. i am looking to get trained. i have climbed before also. thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been looking at the various gear websites, but cant find any info that I can understand the differences on other than size, breaking strength, and weight
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What kinda differences are you looking for?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Your request for gear baffles me, Are you doing removals or trims? Lanyard? I see you want static rope, are you going SRT? Do you have any gear?

My Gear
150' Lava
32" Double Eye Split Tail
Versatile Deluxe Harness
2in1 Lanyard (name escapes me atm)
Vertex Vent Helmet
Hitch Climber Pulley
Misc Carabiners
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.wesspur.com/?gclid=CPLxiN...FUid4AodAyIAUw go here and order a catalog. but you really wanna try stuff on. I use the 5/8th stable braid samson rope for rigging. I have a porta wrap III for a lowering device, 150 of 3mm throw line with a 12oz bean bag attached, I plan on buy a sling shot to really launch that into trees better. I don't a lot of tree work yet, so i'm slowly acquiring the supplies i need.