Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Found:A natural effective broadrange insectide

Did I get your attention because I don't know of a silver bullet. If so,educate me.
Insecticide applications are my most dreaded treatment and I do even apply them. My worker does. I would like to reduce chemical use or better yet eliminate it. I can compromise with a few bugs and if my customers complain I can hit them with safari or even crosscheck. My main buggers in 2012 were aphids,lace bugs,white flies,mites,leaf miners and lots of scale.
So are there natural alternatives that are practical. I am not going to buy and release a thousand lady bugs. Or do I have to return to reality and soak em with chemicals.
Maybe if we just change the word "chemical" to a better sounding name it won't seem as bad. This approach is working a lot lately.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are plenty but the some are relatively slow and have little residual effects so repeat applications may be needed.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your chemicals kill the ladybugs anyways... excessive water and fertilizers cause the water shoot growth to attract pests of all kinds... sickly growth from improperly pruned and planted bushes also create the problem...

The best way to go is to start with a systemic in the Spring and deal with any other issues as they appear... getting all freaked out about a couple of bugs and responding by poisoning the entire insect eco-system is what I call stupid... others call it money...
wise horticulture is your best defense against the destruction on your landscape beds...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Any natural insecticide needs to last a month or it becomes impractical to go by every 2 weeks. I am familiar with most of the natural products out there but have not run across one yet to make the top dog of the insecticide control program.
Last year my neighbor had a roach problem. In the past I used a natural product that you could say it worked. But this past year I took a product off my shelf that had been sitting there for years and tried it. Roaches were everywhere dieing a slow death. I could hardly take a step in the walk way around the house without stepping on one. I wondered how many more were croaking in the beds and grass. Conclusion: no natural product will do that. No roach was seen crawling on her porch at night. Satisfied customer,just wish she thought to pay me.
Having said that,I hate using chemicals.Guess I better watch out or I will be found out for hate speech.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

By the way,cedar oil doesn't kill lady bugs,butterflies or bees. I wish it was more effective. If mosquitoes didn't have wings it would work a lot better.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Healthy plants with plenty of water is the best plan. Do not try to grow plants unsited to the site, or your city's location. Replace them with some plant that is more suitable. Make an agreement with your customer to use neem oil, dormant oil, BT, rotenone, pyrithrins and so forth. And agree with your customer's go ahead to use a low risk chemical if you must--synthetic pyrithroid, or something from the EPA's "low risk" list.
like this:
http://www.turfpro.ca/common/acelepryn_e.pdf
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Right on Riggle. Most all of the insect problems encountered on my customer yards are due to a stressed out plant. I think it is good to just do a natural program and go from there-maybe.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with most of the statements made here but some insect issues will simply happen. Most plants will recover but some times not. Grubs are one issue that often will need intervention.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Riggle . My programs focus on plant health first. They key with organic approaches is a insane amount of monitoring to catch pests before a threshold of damage is reached. When you exceed these damage thresholds, organic products become less effective, I the will have to give customers the option for a rescue treatment.

I basically monitor like crazy and treat with low tox products like azasol,bt,Spinosad,essentria ic3,etc. When these pest are beyond control of these products, I may have to use something heavier as a last resort.

Problems I face is , customers paying to have me on property twice a month to scout. Most people wont pay for this normally, and just call when a problem arises.

Also I realize a azaela will survive almost any lacebug attack. It will look rough and have stippling and full of finkle spot. The customer will freak and blame me for the issue. Need to inform customers a level of decline or damage is part of having a landscape.

Ed
Posted via Mobile Device