Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

questions

Well, i've thought about posting on here for awhile in hopes of not getting harassed by dvs and others, but here it is. I've got roughly six years landscape,hardscape, and irrigation experience. I worked for a contractor in my area while attending college. I have 3 bachelor degrees none having anything to do with landscape. I've done roughly ten mid-large size jobs on my own for friends and family members. I'm at the point where I really want to go out on my own. I've found that i really enjoy hardscape and working for or by myself. There seems to be alot larger profit potential for me going this route. I'll be moving to Illinois mid summer and was looking for advice as far as starting a business there and starting a business in general. I don't have much equipment but all the tools neccessary to complete jobs. So my overhead is low. Also i was thinking as far as medical insurance, what do you guys find yourself doing policy wise if your wife doesn't get medical? I'd really like helpful advice. If you can take your time to post something worth my time i'd appreciate it.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the reason for moving there? Will you be in/near a city? I think the big question you need to ask is how am I going to get that first client, in a town where you have no track record. I've done it three times in different parts of the country and it's not easy.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I'll be moving there because my wife has her business there. I will be in the southern chicago area. So I've already been looking in to suppliers there trying to line things up. I actually already talked with a couple of my wives clients and showed them a portfolio of my work so Im hoping to lock a couple down even before I officially move there.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'd be obtaining a contractors license before I'd worry about suppliers.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

In the state of illinois is it "required" to have a contractors license? In MN im pretty sure you just have to register your business with the state set up your bank accounts and have insurance for your company. DVS do you have a contractors license?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Moving to a completely unfamiliar city to start a business changes the game. A lot.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

answers.
I would check the regional or business forums for some answers but as far as that first client, you can try craigslist or home advisor etc. its going to be cut throat without a reputation. I would also flier our immediate area.

what about equip and trucks? do you have all that already or are you renting?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I find not having much of a portfolio is what is going to hurt me. I feel im pretty solid in my business fundamentals also from reading and learning from you guys on here. As far as equipment, the only think I don't have that I feel I need would be a skid-loader/dingo/utility tractor. I two trucks one is a work truck dually flatbed and the other is an 03 silverado also have my dump trailer with all my tools rakes shovels concrete saw,packer, laser, etc.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would go take a bunch of pictures of the 10 jobs you did already and maybe ask your boss if you can use some of his since you won't be directly competing with him
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know the answer as to IL's licensing requirements. It's your responsibility to find out if Illinois has a contractor licensing board and how to obtain a license. Most states do. We can't do your homework for you. But to be helpful i can advise you do A quick google search. Or visit the state's website.

And yes, most legit contractors / corporations do comply with state laws, kinda hard to pull permits without a license
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 01-04-2013 at 09:07 PM.