Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

best avertising

woorking on avertising for this upcomming year what has worked best for you guys? i dont want to spend a **** ton and i already know about craigslist so whats worked best for you???
Stihl handhelds
texas bragg trailers.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

advertising is a bear. I read on here the other year when I started up to have a huge advertising budget. I kind of blew that advice off thinking it'd be cheap and easy, but it's not. I tried everything I could think of from t-shirts and hoodies with my company name, lettered truck/trailer, local newspapers, c-list, website, postcards, fliers, word of mouth, placemats in restaurants...nothing worked except a few things: the signs on the truck got me a few good customers while I was out working, I landed a few from fliers/doorhangers and ALL of my snow plowing accounts came from those plastic yard signs. The yard signs outta be simple and clean looking. I just ordered 15 more yesterday for mowing. Also, make them specific. The first round of signs I had made had too much on them. I listed all my services, my company logo, phone #....the new ones say "SNOW PLOWING" with a clip art image of a plow truck and my number and that's it. I also made about a dozen and move them around from place to place every couple weeks. so far those stupid signs have landed me the most work but I haven't tried it for mowing yet. They're about 15 bucks a piece after printing, buying the wire stands and shipping, but spending 200 bucks on signs and getting even one customer will pay all of them off pretty quick. Give those a try, just don't put your signs next to mine
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
advertising is a bear. I read on here the other year when I started up to have a huge advertising budget. I kind of blew that advice off thinking it'd be cheap and easy, but it's not. I tried everything I could think of from t-shirts and hoodies with my company name, lettered truck/trailer, local newspapers, c-list, website, postcards, fliers, word of mouth, placemats in restaurants...nothing worked except a few things: the signs on the truck got me a few good customers while I was out working, I landed a few from fliers/doorhangers and ALL of my snow plowing accounts came from those plastic yard signs. The yard signs outta be simple and clean looking. I just ordered 15 more yesterday for mowing. Also, make them specific. The first round of signs I had made had too much on them. I listed all my services, my company logo, phone #....the new ones say "SNOW PLOWING" with a clip art image of a plow truck and my number and that's it. I also made about a dozen and move them around from place to place every couple weeks. so far those stupid signs have landed me the most work but I haven't tried it for mowing yet. They're about 15 bucks a piece after printing, buying the wire stands and shipping, but spending 200 bucks on signs and getting even one customer will pay all of them off pretty quick. Give those a try, just don't put your signs next to mine
The things that didn't work cut back spending in those areas. The advertisements that worked, increase spending in those areas. I have been thinking about doing some press releases in the local paper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe those signs do work. I have never tried them.
I am not sure what the best method is except to hang around and be seen. Have a great website. Ask for referals and some targeted direct mail .
Old 01-05-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Signs work, i put them out in march, but get more week before people start to mow. i get 20 a year, face book is the biggest thing to work, and free ad listing does the best for me, since we live next to a big lake that has 80% that live their are from Ohio. We push hard on clients, but truck and equipment helps bring in more money cuz people want to see the best out their!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

"it's not what you know, it's who you know"

NETWORK.

I am currently a one person after hours operation, yet with professional marketing and website for the impression of a large company. None of it matters if nobody knows you or you have no relationships. I have a tough time approaching people I know or asking friends and family to pass out my business cards because its a pride issue - but all of my work except for one job has come from doing just that - networking and just putting yourself out there.

But I will admit that a nicely designed yard sign in a high traffic area will in fact draw attention as I had a few GCs contact me with just one sign.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yard Signs are great,I am thinking about doing some basic ones this year. The only time I really use them is after a job and leave them behind for a few days. Like someone else said, basic is probably the best. I also offer a referral fee to customers for anyone they refer to me that signs up.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828