Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

help identify

i have a few questions about location of parts. what is a governor arm where is it located and what does it look like? recoil start is that the pull string to get it started? what are the normal grease points on a mower and how to grease the spindle and where is the spindle?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by april0514 View Post
i have a few questions about location of parts. what is a governor arm where is it located and what does it look like? recoil start is that the pull string to get it started? what are the normal grease points on a mower and how to grease the spindle and where is the spindle?
Governor arm is usually located on the back of most motors. It has a spring connected to it, usually with different slots in the arm to adjust the tension of the governor. When the mower is running, you'll see it slightly move, or move a lot if the motor is under load.

Yes, a recoil start is the pull string that recoils itself.

The spindle is the shaft that goes through a mower deck and the pulley and blade attaches itself to.

Also notice the grease zerk on the spindle. This is a grease point. Look for any zerks on the mower where-ever there are moving parts.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

ok so a little more info the 2 screws, in your picture, which one does what? also there are 2 screws, in the bowl, that encloses the float, one holds it on and the other does what? any ajustment or no purpose except to drain fuel maybe? i'm just learning all this. i've got "hands on", but lack alittle of "the books" part of it. thanks for any info provided.