Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the best advertising money you've spent???

Just curious where you feel your money has been best spent on advertising? I've only done direct mail and a couple of Groupon deals.

I spend 2k on direct mail one spring and only yielded about 10 calls. A couple of worth while customers, but not the response I was looking for. I've also done a Groupon the past two years. While I did a ton of work for free, I've picked up about 15-20 new regulars each go round.

I might do Groupon again this year, but in a VERY limited capacity. I just don't have the time to mess with a main feature again.

So where has your money been best spent?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

depends on the time of year , i love business cards I know you probally already have some , but there are so many ways to utilize business cards , put them on bulitin boards everywhere , and the best way to get business during the mowing season is business cards just get some door hanger plastic bags , they are pritty cheap , pick a neighborhood that you want to target and walk around hang them on door and if you see someone introduce yourself and hand them a business card. this will translate to the #1 way to obtain business and that is word of mouth , the person you are giving your card to may not need there lawn done but that doesent mean thay do not know someone who does , this route is the cheapest way , the best way with no work on your part would be local newspaper, but this means more money.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

With out a doubt the best money I have spent is fully lettering our trucks and as the fleet grew keeping them the same color. When you are just getting started it seems like a big investment but looking back getting my truck lettered was a turning point for me. I have painted a few of the older trucks myself and paid the body shop to do others. I am really lucky that my wife is a graphic designer and we own a vinyl cutter so she does the stickers. When we ran only one truck people used to say they saw us all over town now 13 yrs later we have 12 trucks on the road and they really do see us all over town.
Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dycproperties View Post
With out a doubt the best money I have spent is fully lettering our trucks and as the fleet grew keeping them the same color. When you are just getting started it seems like a big investment but looking back getting my truck lettered was a turning point for me. I have painted a few of the older trucks myself and paid the body shop to do others. I am really lucky that my wife is a graphic designer and we own a vinyl cutter so she does the stickers. When we ran only one truck people used to say they saw us all over town now 13 yrs later we have 12 trucks on the road and they really do see us all over town.
Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any pics? I do have a logo on my truck, but might need to redo it in about a year. I can't say a get many calls from my current door logo.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how to upload pictures but I have some on my website www.dycproperties.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said, lettering your trucks equipment, and having uniforms are great. Post cards work well for me. A website is great as well in this day of technology.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

simply put...the BEST advertising money I've spent over the last year is the ability to tell folks.."text THEYARDBOY to 90210 on your mobile phone.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
simply put...the BEST advertising money I've spent over the last year is the ability to tell folks.."text THEYARDBOY to 90210 on your mobile phone.
and when I say the best money I've spent, I'm talking about $14.95/month
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Putting our logo on our trucks and shirts. Great way to brand your company!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
and when I say the best money I've spent, I'm talking about $14.95/month
Still wondering how it's done though...Please Share!!! Sounds like a great marketing tool I would love to put to work in my area