Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailer Width

Looking at landscape trailers this week. What width do y'all recommend? Looking at 77" and 83" widths. I am most likely going to end up with a used 83"x14'. My main beef with the 83" is that it could be fun pulling it on tight 4 lane roads. Don't want to sideswipe anyone. The width of the deck is 83"...the tires are out beyond that. Its prob close to 100" wide total.
I guess I'd have to just just avoid really tight stretches of road where I might have issues. I'm sure like anything I could get used to driving a wider trailer, right now I have a 60" (plus the width of the tires) trailer.
Any input would be appreciated.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking at buying a new open trailer myself. I was convinced early on that wider is better but I also do not want to be always nervous about me or one of my guys crossing center lines on these narrow roads. I am looking more and more at inside width of 6'6" or somewhere close but nothing wider.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, my point exactly.
If I can get this trailer for the right price I can put up with the extra width. But if I am going to buy a new one or going to keep looking I am going to swing towards getting around the same size you are saying.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.