Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out my website! Feedback Appreciated!

Hey everyone. I decided to make my first website ever with absolutely no experience. It is still in the process but here it is for now! Will be adding more photos, testimonials, referrals, etc... Let me know what you think or what I could do to improve!

Once the season starts back up I will get photos of our work and our trucks/equipment.

Took advantage of my down time in the winter to read/watch videos to create a page. Was easier then I thought.

www.costelloslandscaping.com
- Licensed Pesticide Applicator
- 8ft Boss Plow
Old 01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice job! You put some hard work into building that and it shows. The only recommendation I would have is on the read more link the lawn and landscape have the same page and info. Maybe right a distinct page for each like on the Snow removal, read more.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
Nice job! You put some hard work into building that and it shows. The only recommendation I would have is on the read more link the lawn and landscape have the same page and info. Maybe right a distinct page for each like on the Snow removal, read more.
Thanks! I ended up taking your advice. Still need to add to the landscape page though and expand on our services.
- 8ft Boss Plow
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice congrats
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks pretty good Costello. I would recommend putting your contact info. at the bottom of every page.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The main thing to check, what your site looks like to a search engine:

http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...scaping.com%2F
Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I've added a few things since the last time i posted this. How do you think it's looking so far?
- 8ft Boss Plow
Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The site looks great, Kyle. Clean, great visual pop, especially with your logo on the white background. A few recommendations and observations:

- The Contact and Testimonial pages are a departure from the visual lead and consitency established by the preceding pages. The footer gray area and white scallops are used above the content, instead of below, crowding the logo tagline.

- Check your footer text in Chrome and Firefox. The text shadow style used makes it look like a blurred, double-strike and not an offset enhancement like you're probably seeing in IE.

- Add schema.org tagging to your address.

- Putting straight lists of city names in a footer is something that might catch the attention of Google, albeit for the wrong reasons. That's just as easily viewed as keyword stuffing, and the footer comes under extra scrutiny due to the widespread, past abuse.

- For your page TITLE tags, I wouldn't waste valuable space by including the year and the copyright symbol, especially at the beginning of the tag. As it is, your tags are too long, and this just exacerbates the issue of how search processes and handles the tag. One thing I do see is that the date/copyright is not showing in the search results. Is this a new addition that may not be indexed yet, or is Google stripping them out?

- You might want to add Meta Descriptions to your pages. If you don't have them, Google pulls text from your page, often with less than engaging results. In your case, this is what Google is displaying in the results:

Quote:
"Lawn Care / Maintenance. feature image. A perfect lawn doesn't happen by itself. It requires proper maintenance and nutrients to keep a lawn healthy and thick."
- Your image alt tags could use some relevant/contextual keywording. Most are what I assume to be your template's default handling of them.

- Work in some location-based keywords to your content. Your About page is an example where it's lacking, but easily added. On that page, the only reference to where you are is in the footer. You want to show Search that your content is applicable to your target market.

- Services page: your menu indicates the 3 subpage options, but the Service page itself is not leading me to the other pages. There are no interactions or indicators that those are links to follow, and not just pictures with the service names under them.

- As you have time, you should add deeper, content-linked pages for things like Aeration, Dethatching, etc. Educate and sell your visitors. If they don't know what something is...

- Claim whatever local pages you can (Bing/Google/Yahoo, etc).

- Create a favicon icon and replace whatever is currently showing (I assume the current one is legacy branding?). The tree from your logo would look great as a favicon.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for that detailed response! It definitely helps. Most of those things I have thought about actually. Been doing a little bit at a time. The facivon is next and was planning on doing what you said with that. And yes the copyright 2013 was a recent addition. I took your advice and went back to what i originally had. Also i dont know much about using meta descriptions and schema.org tagging. Still have a bit to learn.

- The Contact and Testimonial pages are a departure from the visual lead and consitency established by the preceding pages. The footer gray area and white scallops are used above the content, instead of below, crowding the logo tagline.

I notice that too. I don't know if this is something with the theme i am using? It only does it when I don't have the page setup as 'full width page' ....when i have it on default with the widgets on the side it happens to do this. Im not skilled enough to figure out a fix.
- 8ft Boss Plow
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylec3 View Post
Also i dont know much about using meta descriptions and schema.org tagging.
Meta Descriptions provide the bit of copy you see in the search results. If you leave the tag empty, or don't include it all, Google pull's from your page content. If you want to creatively control the first words your potential customer will read, these are a good place to start. With this one, write for the customer, not the search engines.
Attached Images