Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Hino 195 COE

I've been looking to purchase a Hino 195 COE and was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with them. I'm currently running the Ford LCF and love it but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. I've had a Izuzu in the past but don't care for the newer versions. I've also looked at the newer Fusso and like them but feel they are a bit under powered for me. The Hino seems to offer the comfort, power, and load range that I'm looking for. The Ford LCF was the perfect fit for me despite the fuel system problems that I and many other LCF owners encountered. Too bad the economy didn't support their success. I have my LCF outfitted with a Switch-N-Go system with multiple bodies and will be doing the same with the new truck hence the reason I prefer a truck with a 19,000 GVW and enough balls to move it. I also prefer a COE style truck over a conventional cab so that counts out a F450/F550. I'm just fishing for some thought's from guys with experience with mainly the Hino and/or other COE's.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No direct experience with the trucks you mention, but the UD line looks pretty good.
In the 19.5k class, their UD2000 is rated for 245 hp and 530 lb/ft.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned several hino trucks,and have worked on hino trucks since around 1982 at a dealership and have to say they are very good trucks .The only issue I had with them ,is dealerships around here would come and go too frequently ,so sometimes finding parts took a few extra phone calls and got delivered usually the next day from a dealership 4 hours away.The trucks are simple,easy to work on,and parts are reasonably priced and beleive it or not ,replacement parts are not something you will require very often .I had one issue with a hanger bearing in the mid 90's ,they came in seperate pieces all ordered seperately,some of the parts were 2 months wait,but after a few days I tackled the job and got through it without the long wait .That truck was13 years old and had over 500000 km on it,one clutch and very little else ever done .I would not hesitate to buy another hino or even a fleet of them ,and have owned up to 6 at a time for a mining supply delivery service running very heavy loads over crappy ground.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for you feedback guys. I did look at the UD's but thought that they were a bit expensive and a little larger overall than what I'm looking for. Though they look like a solid truck. I really do agree with the theory that the Hino has a good reliability factor. Just wasn't sure since the 2013/2014 COE's are new to our shores this past year. I see a lot of the conventional cab Hinos running around and it seems that people are liking them. I just hate being the first quine-pig on a new truck model. Sure wish someone who actually has had one for the past year could chime in...
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I spent a couple weeks in Japan on business about 2 years ago, and that's all you see over there is COEs, and most were Hino, so Hino is no stranger to COEs. In fact, the new models are a rebirth, if you will, as they used to be all COEs before changing to a conventional for the US market only(?). Not sure what might be different, other than now being Tier compliant. I'm thinking they're probably a proven machine, albeit overseas. Like ecurbthims said, Hino's rep, both in reliability and customer service, is second to none.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

That does make me feel better dbear. I had that in the back of my mind when I was test driving one. But leave it up to our goverment and the EPA to screw a good thing up.... I guess that's what a stong warranty is for. Looks like a may be a proud owner of a Hino this year!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to add that every hino I owned was a cabover .
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ecubthims. I realy do apreciate your help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
cab-over , fusso , hino , izuzu , trucks