Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Times when you say, REALLY?

This post is to share things clients have said to you that you know are pure nonsense.
A new client had poison ivy growing up 2 trees. The vine at the base was as thick as my wrist. I told him I could kill it by cutting the vines all the way through at the base. He said "the last lawn maintenance man he had did that and it grew back together", I said.... "REALLY?"
Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If hes afraid of that make 2 cuts about half a foot apart and use a flat shovel to knock out the middle part. No chance of that growing back. And good luck on that job no matter what precautions I take I always seem to get poison ivy if I mess with something like this.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
If hes afraid of that make 2 cuts about half a foot apart and use a flat shovel to knock out the middle part. No chance of that growing back. And good luck on that job no matter what precautions I take I always seem to get poison ivy if I mess with something like this.
THANK YOU! I was not looking for advice, I was looking to hear stories.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I've had that happen. You need to make 2 cuts and remove a section of it.

I had a customer who wanted me to plant poison ivy to grow up a trellis on the side of their house...the birds like the berries. There is a native plant nursery in my area that actually propagates poison ivy...yes really.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Actually I've had that happen. You need to make 2 cuts and remove a section of it.

I had a customer who wanted me to plant poison ivy to grow up a trellis on the side of their house...the birds like the berries. There is a native plant nursery in my area that actually propagates poison ivy...yes really.
Good god man, this post is giving me nightmares. Lol. Do they propogate honeysuckle too?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I've got one. I got fired by a lawn care customer for doing too good of a job. The place was kind of neglected and after maintaining it for a couple of months and doing a little extra each time I got it looking at least presentable. They were concerned that it looked too good and that it would cause their town tax assessement to go up and cost them more money on their property taxes. OK...so you want me to do a crappy job...that's a new one, lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Oh, I've got one. I got fired by a lawn care customer for doing too good of a job. The place was kind of neglected and after maintaining it for a couple of months and doing a little extra each time I got it looking at least presentable. They were concerned that it looked too good and that it would cause their town tax assessement to go up and cost them more money on their property taxes. OK...so you want me to do a crappy job...that's a new one, lol.
Property taxes go up based on because the yard looks too good! REALLY!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowed a customer yard back in the 90's that didnt want any weedeating done or blowing. Will pay you the same money and come on every other Monday at such and such time. Was paid in cash, asked one day why he didn't want it completely done. Well his wife knew he would never do that and she is gone on Mondays and she never knew he paid someone else to do it. The previous LCO would end up weedeating when he wasn't there and his wife was very suspicious.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Mowed a customer yard back in the 90's that didnt want any weedeating done or blowing. Will pay you the same money and come on every other Monday at such and such time. Was paid in cash, asked one day why he didn't want it completely done. Well his wife knew he would never do that and she is gone on Mondays and she never knew he paid someone else to do it. The previous LCO would end up weedeating when he wasn't there and his wife was very suspicious.
Taking credit where credit wasn't due. That's a good one!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
Taking credit where credit wasn't due. That's a good one!
lol That relationship wont last!