Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the best all around set up for mowing?????

I was curious to see what everyone else has decided was the best set up for mowing lawns , kinda seems like eather the set up is to big or to small , trying to be as efficient as posible , want to be able to do large accounts and small all on the same route with the most compact and efficent set up , right now we have things set up for 2 set ups , one is a small set up and the other a large trailer set up , would like to just mow all out of one set up. Thanks for your input , photos are also apreciated.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

productivity is always going to be a huge debate in this industry. Which set up is best for you is normally based on a per day route. IF you have small and large properties on the same day, then bring a large and small mower.

My ideal productivity uses two different trailer set ups with the same trailer. If you are loading and unloading your trailer every day, it wont be too much effort to change the set ups each day of work. I schedul small properties mon-tuesday, and large properties thurs and friday. Wednesday is when the trailer is packed with all the mowers to get the large properties with small back yards and the yards the medium sized and in between properties that need more than one mower.

Mon- Tuesday set up

-12ft trailer
-(1) Exmark 21" Mower
-(2) 48" turf tracers
-(2) Stihl FS 90r trimmers
-(2) Redmax 3060s edgers
-(2) Redmax ebz8500 blowers

Wednesday Set up
-16 foot trailer
-(1) Exmark 60" Lazer
-(2) 48" turf tracers
-(1) Exmark 21" mower
-(2) Redmax 3060s edgers

Thursday Route:
-12ft trailer
-(2) Exmark 60" Lazers
-(2) Redmax 3060s edgers

This gives us best productivity without lugging around all five mowers all the time. The only way i would do it differently is if i was using an npr with an 18 foot bed plus a dovetail so i could carry everything without a trailer. I wouldnt trust my guys with a huge trailer in the small areas we work. Our rig is almost 38 feet long as it is with a 16 foot trailer.

Insured and Licensed
Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm thinking if I was running a two man crew, I'd send them out with 2 48" Walkers and 2 21" Toros on a 16' trailer. Maybe on Mondays replace 1 of the Walkers with a 52" midmount zero turn to do low end stuff and side discharge mowing.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Each truck has different trailer setups but about the same mower setups. I run a 32ft gooseneck with chevy truck so were long. It has a dump box on it. Usually this rig is strictly large commercial as they dont move alot once on site. Usually 3 exmark 52's. usually two exmark WB's. Then trimmers, blowers, gas. Sometime we run with 72 front runner exmark too.

Other trucks all have a 24 ft trailer and usually one exmark 52 and one exmark WB. Then the usual small hand helds.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Each truck has different trailer setups but about the same mower setups. I run a 32ft gooseneck with chevy truck so were long. It has a dump box on it. Usually this rig is strictly large commercial as they dont move alot once on site. Usually 3 exmark 52's. usually two exmark WB's. Then trimmers, blowers, gas. Sometime we run with 72 front runner exmark too.

Other trucks all have a 24 ft trailer and usually one exmark 52 and one exmark WB. Then the usual small hand helds.
Don't take this the wrong way , but why would you haul a 24ft trailer with two extreamly small mowers that would easily fit on. A 12 feet trailer. What do you do with the other 12 feet of room? Waste of gas, waste of weight, waste of engine work for your trucks, I cannot see one benefit from running this long of rig without carrying 3 zero turns and having a huge tool bench up front
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If money wasent a proble my perfect setup would be:
Crew cab super lawn truck 20ft bed
Toro 60 grandstand or g3
1-2 toro 52 grandstands
Toro 36 grandstand
Toro commercial push mower
2-3 redmax 2060 trimmers
2 redmax 2060 egergers
2 redmax 7500
1 redmax 8500 blowers

It could fit in pretty compact resi neiborhoods and would be the perfect rig for big commercials
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock lawns View Post
if money wasent a proble my perfect setup would be:
Crew cab super lawn truck 20ft bed
toro 60 grandstand or g3
1-2 toro 52 grandstands
toro 36 grandstand
toro commercial push mower
2-3 redmax 2060 trimmers
2 redmax 2060 egergers
2 redmax 7500
1 redmax 8500 blowers

it could fit in pretty compact resi neiborhoods and would be the perfect rig for big commercials
posted via mobile device
i know i have been looking on the net at the super lawn care trucks they look awesome , i still have to pay off my last plow truck , i do not like to finance stuff and yea i figure the trucks are pritty expensive , i wonder how the ramps on those trucks handle wet tires etc , the truck ramps seem a little steeper than whats on a trailer and i know when its wet sometimes i have to get a little run and go just to get up on the trailer , especially if it is parked on an incline already. Yea that seems like a good set up though.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Around Morgantown I think that a stander or small zeros are the way to go, I run a 52 zero and a 48 zero as well as a 52 walk behind. I can cut a normal lawn in Greystone and then go to one of my larger estates around 7 acres with the same trailer. We can cover alot of ground with the two zeros going and I think that anything bigger than 52 could really scalp around here.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinicklawncare View Post
around morgantown i think that a stander or small zeros are the way to go, i run a 52 zero and a 48 zero as well as a 52 walk behind. I can cut a normal lawn in greystone and then go to one of my larger estates around 7 acres with the same trailer. We can cover alot of ground with the two zeros going and i think that anything bigger than 52 could really scalp around here.
the one set up i run in the box trailer i run a 52 walk behind and a 60 zero turn most of the time , but i have another set up that i use a 10 ft open trailer for those hard to reach areas , just take the push mowers and the 52 walk behind on it usually. I was just curious what every one else was doing , i have no experience with standers , lh jones in sabraton has the new gravely stander in , as far as wright , pass can order them but i just cannot bring myself to buy something i can't use and test first. Do you use standers if so how to they handle the hills? Thats what i would use it for , most hours go on the zero turn though.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
the one set up i run in the box trailer i run a 52 walk behind and a 60 zero turn most of the time , but i have another set up that i use a 10 ft open trailer for those hard to reach areas , just take the push mowers and the 52 walk behind on it usually. I was just curious what every one else was doing , i have no experience with standers , lh jones in sabraton has the new gravely stander in , as far as wright , pass can order them but i just cannot bring myself to buy something i can't use and test first. Do you use standers if so how to they handle the hills? Thats what i would use it for , most hours go on the zero turn though.
Posted via Mobile Device