Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Recall in November

Anyone get anything about this. I called the number and it said get in touch with your local Hustler dealer, and I did, and like most everything with them, I have heard Nothing from them.

Would like to know what is involved in it, and if it can be done at home, (without having to take my machine in) like the Kawasaki fuel filter recall was in the Summer.

Below is what I found on it.

Recall Date: November 1, 2012
Recall Number: 13-704
Excel Industries Recalls Hustler and BigDog Lawn Mowers Due to Fire Hazard

Consumers should stop using this product, which is being recalled voluntarily, unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Recall Summary
Name of product: Hustler and BigDog Lawn Mowers

Hazard: The fuel tank vent valve fitting can fail to seal and cause a fuel leak, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy: Repair
Consumer Contact: Excel Industries; (800) 748-8223, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday to Friday, or websites www.hustlerturf.com and www.bigdogmowers.com and click on Product Recall Information for more information.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Sponsor

This recall was due to the vent valve on the top of your tank might have been out of spec's. Tough finding which units were effected so we recalled all of them. It's just a matter of replacement of the valve, a very quick fix. All repairs were tracked by model and serial numbers. Units that were still in dealer and warehouse inventory were repaired prior to delivery.
Please forward me your model and serial number and I will check on your unit.

Brian O
Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Sponsor

Jeff,
I checked your serial number and found that McMichaels did the update on your machine July 31st, 2012.This may not be the exact date of repair, just the date they filed the claim. I have no way of knowing when you had the Kawasaki fuel filter work done but I'm betting McMichaels was pro-active and did the vents before you even knew there was an issue when you had them do the fuel filter. Hustler is required to send out these notices to all the registered owners whether the work has been done or not.
You are good to go!

Brian O
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Brian, This was the one they did when I brought it to their attention when I bought it. When I was picking it up they asked me if I could come back in a few hours, so they could do it before taking it home.
As to the Kawasaki fuel filter, I got it straight from Kawasaki and did it myself.
Thanks for checking into things for me.
Jeff