Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
PabsMaster PabsMaster is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 115
First irrigation job.

Hello,

This is my first time on the irrigation page. I just got a call today from a new client. I own a small lawn care company, and primarily do lanscape/ mowing. I am 15 (almost 16) and have been in the business for 3 years. She asked about getting an irrigation installed in the spring. I told her that I would need to think about it. At first I was thinking this would be to much for a one man crew. Then I remembered watching a video on the toro dingo. I saw that pipe laying machine. I think it is called a vibratory plow? I would like to do the job, what I need is a site with how to do this. My Dad is going to help me with this first one some. But is there a site you guys recommend, or something that could help me? This is a homeowners yard FYI.

Thank You very much, and have a good evening.

Pablo Smith
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 9,886
What state are you? Are you required to have an irrigation contractor license?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 12,925
Since you are in Texas, turn the job down, or refer it to someone else. TX has some of the toughest and most regulated requirements for being able to repair or install irrigation systems. You need to work for some one else first, study like a mad man, get tested, and hopefully get your license. DO NOT install this system as you may face the wrath of getting fined.

Other than that, have a nice day
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 9,886
^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alpine, Arizona
Posts: 20,496
What a drag, having to apprentice under one of us before you can even apply for a license. If that's the the name of the game, I support it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 PM
PabsMaster PabsMaster is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 115
Thank You, I far as I know you need a license. You can do it if you are not registered business. ( AKA sense I am not 18 and dont pay taxes) but like you guys said it is not worth the risk. Oh well, I appreciate it very much. Have a good evening!

Pablo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabsMaster View Post
Thank You, I far as I know you need a license. You can do it if you are not registered business. ( AKA sense I am not 18 and dont pay taxes) but like you guys said it is not worth the risk. Oh well, I appreciate it very much. Have a good evening!

Pablo
With out a license you pretty much cannot even look at a irrigation system in Texas. Here are the rules by the state.

"A person may not sell, design, install, maintain, alter, repair, service or inspect an irrigation system - or consult in these activities - in this state unless the person is licensed by the TCEQ [Texas Commission on Environmental Quality]"

You do not have to be 18, or any other age for that matter, to take the course or test. If irrigation is something you are interested in why not go ahead and get your license. If you are just mowing while in school [nothing wrong with that young man] and do not intend to make a profession out of the landscape industry then I would not worry about irrigation license or pesticide [spraying] license and just leave that to others.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
With out a license you pretty much cannot even look at a irrigation system in Texas. Here are the rules by the state.

"A person may not sell, design, install, maintain, alter, repair, service or inspect an irrigation system - or consult in these activities - in this state unless the person is licensed by the TCEQ [Texas Commission on Environmental Quality]"

You do not have to be 18, or any other age for that matter, to take the course or test. If irrigation is something you are interested in why not go ahead and get your license. If you are just mowing while in school [nothing wrong with that young man] and do not intend to make a profession out of the landscape industry then I would not worry about irrigation license or pesticide [spraying] license and just leave that to others.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabsMaster View Post
Thank You, I far as I know you need a license. You can do it if you are not registered business. ( AKA sense I am not 18 and dont pay taxes) but like you guys said it is not worth the risk. Oh well, I appreciate it very much. Have a good evening!

Pablo
Good decision not to do this. Your thinking about not being a "registered business" in probaby off though. Just because you are not "registered" you are performing it for profit which whether you admit it or not is business. Also do yourself a favor and run your business like a business, get the proper business licenses pay taxes & etc. You will be doing yourself a favor in the long run. For what it's worth I report people in my area. Not to be mean but because it affects the entire industry.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 20,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
. For what it's worth I report people in my area. Not to be mean but because it affects the entire industry.
Good , nothing wrong with protecting ones interests.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.08602 seconds with 8 queries