Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solid vs. Foam

I tear out a lot of concrete and I am really tired of flat tires and wasting 2-3 hours to go get it fixed.

Plus I am in need of new tires so I've come down to either buying a set of solid tires with rims for $1800 or buying a new set of decent tires and having them foam filled for $1700..

what would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what machine? If it's a skid, I use galaxy tires. Never had a flat and have done a lot of demo. Have had a few leaks but run the slime. Foam heavy and very rough ride and expensive. I'll probably never go back to foam unless it is light like styrofoam and gives like air.
I have looked at the new generation of solid tires.

They are interesting and supposed to be a better all around ride.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
what machine? If it's a skid, I use galaxy tires. Never had a flat and have done a lot of demo. Have had a few leaks but run the slime. Foam heavy and very rough ride and expensive. I'll probably never go back to foam unless it is light like styrofoam and gives like air.
I have looked at the new generation of solid tires.

They are interesting and supposed to be a better all around ride.
They'll be on my Bobcat 773..

a tire salesman mentioned Hulk tires, I think, but not galaxy.

So you just use that green slime in your tires? Any problems with knocking them off the bead?

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

does anyone make an agressive solid tire that would still be good in the mud?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mc Laren makes a wider tire that is like 16 inches wide. I have the typical 12X16.5 and they are terrible in soft ground. I have not tried the wider tire, but I would try before buying. I bet they are about 4K.

The Hulk tires are Galaxy tires. There are other L-4 and L-5 tires that are good but less expensive than the Galaxy tires. I would go with these tires before going solid. Solid tires are great for demo but really suck when your in the dirt, at least the airless tires suck, I have never run the foam filled.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I spend 50% of my time ripping concrete. Only once did i get a flat from wire mesh through the sidewall. I keep a gallon of slime in each
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On just this one job I've had three flats.. and you can count on about 2-3 hours of down time for each flat. So I basically lost a whole day on this job due to flat tires..

KSSS- those mclarens you are talking about, are they solid? Also, what kind of tread pattern are you talking about?

Quote:

Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a demo deere with mcclaren airless tires on it, working on my track machine😡the seem like a lot better ride than rubber tires. Seems like a very good product. It memory serves me right they are very $$$$
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are McLaren with the typical skid steer tread pattern. The Mc Larens dont ride bad they just have zero floatation (at least on large machine like a 465 CASE). The machine was almost worthless in the dirt. I still use them when I have the tracks on, but not for anything else.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Junior, do you have a compressor on-site? In the past, when I lost the bead or had flat, I had 20 minutes downtime max. The worst was when I lost the bead way down in an arroyo (ditch) and had to climb back out and walk the machine back to my truck. What I like about the Galaxy tires (hulk) is that they have a very stiff sidewall and even with a flat you can run it for a short distance.
If you are completely flat and can't get bead (I don't do the ether igniting) wrap a binder strap around the tire, tighten, and air up. You can even put a little grease around the rim to help it seat and keep air in for initial inflation.

The hulk tires are pigs in mud.. no fun but they are great on rock, concrete, nails, and other things because they have such thick rubber pads. There are also, I believe, Galaxy kong's that have less void and more rubber but they would be awful in wet conditions.

As KSSS said, there are other brands. I think Michelin has a galaxy knock off and I know Bobcat does and I like Bobcat's tread pattern better.
One last thing, I bought a heavy duty tire plug kit. I think it's called "blackjack". I've run over a couple of things like rebar or God know's what and the hole was large. Two or three of the plugs sealed it and no problems for a couple of years.
Solid fill means no flats but you lose shock absorbtion, add weight, lose traction, and when the tires wear down, you chunk them and possibly the rim if they can't cut them off clean. Again, your down time due to flat should be 10-20 minutes max.. even if you have three flats you lose an hour. But take the time to use the slime if you do go with air tires... I think the Bobcat Severe Duty would work great on your 773 and give you a little more stability when lifting heavy loads. The 773 can lift more than it's rated for but with standard tires they squat more.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing