Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Georgia License Questions

What type of licenses are you required to have in the state of GA to apply fertilizer and herbicides (PreM, Celsius, Drive, etc)? Also are there any certifications required in obtaining a business license to run a landscaping operation (mow, trim, and edge)? I am thinking about opening a small operation here in the Columbus area (Midland GA), we are somewhat lacking quality landscapers in my area. I want to run a legal operation and get all the required documentation. I am not here to poach/price gouge any current companies, I am just trying to see what is all involved in running a legal business.

Thank You
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you get your pesticide applicators license first (cat. 24). then after that you just gotta get proof of the insurance coverage and you can apply for the contractors license which costs a little extra. i got the books from UGA extension, it was 40. you just call up and they send it to you, i paid over the phone. i studied for a month then scheduled the test. it was really, really easy IMO. there is a big book, and a smaller book.. the smaller book was the one that seemed the most important to know inside and out for the test. the big book was just repetitive, but common sense stuff about safety and labels, etc.. i read through that once. and studied the turf and ornamental book many times.. lots of good info in there too.

there are a few informative threads on here about the ga pesticide exam.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=13

as far as i know nothing else special for a mow and go operation other than your regular business license. i formed an llc and got a biz license with the county i'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
What type of licenses are you required to have in the state of GA to apply fertilizer and herbicides (PreM, Celsius, Drive, etc)? Also are there any certifications required in obtaining a business license to run a landscaping operation (mow, trim, and edge)? I am thinking about opening a small operation here in the Columbus area (Midland GA), we are somewhat lacking quality landscapers in my area. I want to run a legal operation and get all the required documentation. I am not here to poach/price gouge any current companies, I am just trying to see what is all involved in running a legal business.

Thank You

Last edited by inzane; 02-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
you get your pesticide applicators license first (cat. 24). then after that you just gotta get proof of the insurance coverage and you can apply for the contractors license which costs a little extra. i got the books from UGA extension, it was 40. you just call up and they send it to you, i paid over the phone. i studied for a month then scheduled the test. it was really, really easy IMO. there is a big book, and a smaller book.. the smaller book was the one that seemed the most important to know inside and out for the test. the big book was just repetitive, but common sense stuff about safety and labels, etc.. i read through that once. and studied the turf and ornamental book many times.. lots of good info in there too.

there are a few informative threads on here about the ga pesticide exam.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=13

as far as i know nothing else special for a mow and go operation other than your regular business license. i formed an llc and got a biz license with the county i'm in.
Exactly what he said!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Exactly what he said!
Posted via Mobile Device
How many hours a day/ how many days did you study before testing?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

study the little book the most like said earlier. its really not that hard. a lot of common sense questions. read each book and you should be fine
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You need to know the book, Call me tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's best to know it inside-out so you do well on the test. The General Knowledge test is easier than the T&O (Cat.24) part. Pest identification, and knowing when/where they hit is crucial (bugs, disease, weeds, nematodes, etc.). I would study for a month minimum before taking the test.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is a lot of studying. really not that big of a deal though. are there any type of pre tests for this? is the study information obtainable through the library?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Jet Engine Mechanic by trade so i am very familiar with MSDS labels and disposing of hazardous chemicals.

Is the GA pesticide exam this type of general knowledge? Did you only study the Cat 24 turf and ornamental?

I was looking at insurance today with USAA (my insurance company), but I have to call them, they dont do an online quote. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I call them, I dont want to sound like a fool.

How much time did it take for you to get your business up and running? I have 3/4 of the equipment needed, and the funds to get the rest I need. I just want to make sure i am legit and not going to have in problems with the Fuzz for running a small operation.

I AM A HUGE FAN OF CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM SO PLEASE BRING IT ON.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have the 2 books. i passed several months ago. i did fail first time because i thought into it too much but its not that hard. i highlighted everything in the book i missed and can share with you what i missed on and whats most important to study. if you pm me ill give u my number and can go over wit you everything you need to know after u get your books. u will pass first time with my info and using the mistakes i made. let me know if u need help. i was nervous and studied the wrong thing the first time and failed it. ill help u not do what i did. good luck