Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
smallstripesnc smallstripesnc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 674
No ones a Lowballer

It seems that everyone on here mentions the term "lowballer" and define a lowballer as someone with a cheaper price. But really no one is a low baller. There is no "market average" for lawn care and everyone's operating expenses are different. Not everyone is driving a gas sucking V8 truck, a huge trailer, and a 60 inch zero turn with a 35HP engine, etc...

If the expenses are lower then you can charge lower prices and still make plenty of profit. So when you say someone is a lowballer because they only charge $30 for the same lawn you would charge $45 how are they a lowballer?

If they are reliable, do a good job, have a lower operating cost which enables them to charge less and still make profit what makes them a lowballer?

Sure some people want to make more than others but still no one is a lowballer since too many things go into the price that someone charges.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM
mikeypizano's Avatar
mikeypizano mikeypizano is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yatesville
Posts: 275
Ever think maybe the other people have a reason to be out there? Everyone complains when they see a guy with a mower in his truck. What is the guy bought the stuff used for his own yard? What if hes doing a relatives yard like his parents? What if hes doing community service for the elderly? What if he just lost his job and needs to provide for his family so they don't end up on the streets? Too bad if he steals a yard off you. I see it this way, if the client isn't happy with you or they don't care about you, and they replace you.... You didn't need their business to begin with.
__________________
If it ain't orange and white then it ain't right!


Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
z71tiger's Avatar
z71tiger z71tiger is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 277
No ones a Lowballer

For some reason I started think this same thing the other day. I'm sure some people would think I'm a lowballer but, I have no overhead and I'm solo. Our profit margins could be the same and I'm charging less. Not my fault your in debt or greedy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Will P.C. Will P.C. is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 939
Just b/c you have 'almost no overhead' doesn't mean you should discount your services.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Nate'sLawnCare's Avatar
Nate'sLawnCare Nate'sLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 936
Some out there with less "overhead" than us guys trying to do it the right way sometimes means no insurance, licenses, and other shortcuts. It will catch up with them at some point.
__________________
Snapper Pro S200XT 36 HP Big Block
BOP 36 Inch Dually
Honda HRX217VKA Mower
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
skorum03 skorum03 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Some out there with less "overhead" than us guys trying to do it the right way sometimes means no insurance, licenses, and other shortcuts. It will catch up with them at some point.
You're right and if someone out there is trying to cut for half price is probably offering work of about half price quality. There is always a lot of turnover when this happens and the jobs will come back to the "non-lowballers"

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
__________________
2000 Silverado Half ton 4x4
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4
2001 Ford F250 PSD w/8ft Western Ultra Mount
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
Just b/c you have 'almost no overhead' doesn't mean you should discount your services.
I couldn't disagree anymore. I'm no fan of charging X amount or Y amount just because I can.

if I set up a business and wanna earn a certain % profit I'm gonna use my numbers to get that profit. if my numbers (expenses/overhead) happen to be lower allowing me to get my % with a lower price I'm gonna do that.

if I can earn my % charging $30 when the other guy has to charge $45, I'm not gonna charge $45 just because others are and can.

my min for example is $25 a lawn. I'm solo with very little over head. my buddy has his min up to $30-$35. he has 6 employees. he probably needs his min up that much to make a profit on a yard he charges the min. I can make the same profit with $25 that he makes charging $35. could I get $35. I'm sure I could since a lot of guys with employees are getting that but I'm making the kind of profit I want and need to make. which is why I'm in business.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM
H & M Yard Improvements H & M Yard Improvements is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bloomingdale, NJ
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I couldn't disagree anymore. I'm no fan of charging X amount or Y amount just because I can.

if I set up a business and wanna earn a certain % profit I'm gonna use my numbers to get that profit. if my numbers (expenses/overhead) happen to be lower allowing me to get my % with a lower price I'm gonna do that.

if I can earn my % charging $30 when the other guy has to charge $45, I'm not gonna charge $45 just because others are and can.

my min for example is $25 a lawn. I'm solo with very little over head. my buddy has his min up to $30-$35. he has 6 employees. he probably needs his min up that much to make a profit on a yard he charges the min. I can make the same profit with $25 that he makes charging $35. could I get $35. I'm sure I could since a lot of guys with employees are getting that but I'm making the kind of profit I want and need to make. which is why I'm in business.
6 employees and charging $35 a lawn?

You charge $25 a lawn?

Good luck to you and your buddy! I would go out of business if I charged that little!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Lowballer to me isn't about their pricing, its that they usually don't have the insurance, licensing, and sometimes even the equipment necessary to do the job. Hack is a better term for these types. I have em in the town where I do business. Heck an unlicensed dude sprays the townhome complex right next to my house, and waves to me at the same time. Ignorance is bliss or so they think.....
I'm with you DA......when I think lowball I think scrub and when I think scrub it's not necessarily about prices. could be no insurance, no license or using home owner grade equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H & M Yard Improvements View Post
6 employees and charging $35 a lawn?

You charge $25 a lawn?

Good luck to you and your buddy! I would go out of business if I charged that little!
Posted via Mobile Device
well your a great example when I say the market varies from location to location. me and my friend are both from IN and we both run very successful businesses.

I've been at it now for 7 years and my buddy has been doing it for 13 years.

those are the min prices though. doesn't mean every lawn I have is $25. for it to be $25, I'm probably in and out in 30 min or less and most likely using a 21 incher or 36" walkbehind.

my average lawn is $32.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM
fastlane fastlane is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: east PA.
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by z71tiger View Post
For some reason I started think this same thing the other day. I'm sure some people would think I'm a lowballer but, I have no overhead and I'm solo. Our profit margins could be the same and I'm charging less. Not my fault your in debt or greedy.
Did someone give you your equipment? Gas? How is it possible to have no overhead? Define what you mean when you say greedy.

Last edited by fastlane; 02-04-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.13337 seconds with 7 queries