Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

kubota kx080-3 VS Bobcat E80

Buying a 8 ton, need to sign papers this week on one or the other. Machines would be a 2012 KX080-3 vs a 2013 Bobcat E80-E85. Apparently bobcat is remodeling the E80 this year, some of the upgrades include: Auxiliary hydraulics off the floor to the joystick, float blade, keypad ignition, autoidle, upgraded interior. The new model may be called an E85, this is the machine I would be getting and the dealer would give me a rental E80 till the E85 came in...
Pricing is close but bobcat is a little more due to the tier 4 regulations...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The bobcat is a rebadged doosan machine. I would go with the kubota simply because you don't have to worry about tier4 giving you problems. If you really want a newer machine why wouldn't you look at the kx080-4?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

the only reason i am looking at an e85 instead of the e80 is because of the upgraded features. Especially getting the auxiliary pedal of the floor and on the joystick. The KX080-3 already has that feature so no need to move up to the kx080-4. The way I look at it, the upgraded e80 will bring it up to the same standards as the kx080-3 feature wise...
The other thing that I am considering is that i have a great relationship with the bobcat dealer and have bought lots of stuff from them over the years. Kubota dealer I have not delt with and they seam to be much more into tractors then they are excavators...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat makes a great product no doubt about that , but I find in mini/midi excavators kubota has them beat. If you already have a great relationship with a dealer who is willing to stand behind there product , then I think the bobcat may be the right machine for you .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Bobcat only has 57 hp and claims 30+gpm on aux circuit. Not gonna happen. The breakout and arm force are less than the Kubota. The Kubota will rarely be outperformed in it's class and they have a proven track record.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure the Bobcat is a good machine but everyone I've talked to that owns a Kubota KX080 or runs one raves about their performance. I'd buy a Kubota over a Bobcat any day personally but dealer support is a big part of the deal. I'd get a good feel for the Kubota dealership and take a hard look at the 080. Resale will probably be better on the Kubota as well.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you considered Hitachi/Deere 85's at all? The Kubota and Bobcat lines are almost non-existant here, but Hitachi, Cat, Deere, Kobelco and Link Belt all have a huge presence in that size.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is not an 80 size but I have a 2012 Kubota U55, my old machine was a Bobcat. I demoed a new E50 Bobcat and planned to buy it, then I took the U55 for a 1 day demo. The Kubota was cheaper, better financing, faster, more power and the local dealer is better. They were both very nice but the I just liked the Kubota better in every aspect.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Komatsu PC 88 is a damn fine machine.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

John deere machine is too wide for what i want, kubota is the narrowest of the three which is a big thing as my work is all residential, so i need to get these machines into backyards.
I dont think there is any Komatsu dealers around, so they are out.
Starting to think kubota is the way to go...