Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Long time lurker, first post.Upgrading equipment.

Hey guys, been reading for quite awhile. Long story short I have a small side business morning 15 yards a week. It's just me and a push mower. I already have a main career but my schedule allows me to work a second job. I want to keep doing this but I do want to step up to quality commercial equipment in all areas. I've settled on Stihl for a new backpack blower and trimmer.

Where the reason comes for my post here is with regard to a push mower. I've used the search button quite a bit and have narrowed down my choices to a Honda HRC21 and a Snapper Super Vac. The reasoning for those are with the Honda, I know they're good. I am a big Honda believer. However, The closest dealer to me is Almost 40 miles away. My local dealer is a big SCAG and Snapper guy. He tells me the Snapper with the Honda motor is the way to go. For the sake of this post, lets set aside price. I know they're expensive.

My local shop will work on Hondas but I got the distinct impression they don't care too and it was gonna cost me. I know Honda parts can run high, but with my volume and the fact I'm a maintenance nazi, I would expect repairs to not be a major concern. Is this a safe assumption?

I am in rather hilly terrain. (Ozarks). Some of my yards are flat, others have hills. I need to do more research on the oil pump (or lack there of) on the Honda. I expect hilly terrain will require a oil pump correct?

It's just me and my truck and smaller then most on here volume wise. I want to have a good set up both for my property and the customers I serve.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They would have to be very steep to need a pump and i don't think you would be mowinguch that steep for an extended period
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
They would have to be very steep to need a pump and i don't think you would be mowinguch that steep for an extended period
Posted via Mobile Device
That makes sense. Thank you for the reply.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you considered a. 36" walk behind ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Have you considered a. 36" walk behind ?
Posted via Mobile Device

I did and while I'm sure it would be quite nice, the cost is not something I'm willing to fork over at this time. I've got a nice thing going now, I've set aside enough money to upgrade free and clear and not interrupt my profit margin.

I won't lie, it is very tempting but I know for my situation its not the best move.

What I'm wondering is if I should buy based on the closest service shop or not. I don't think my volume of business will require frequent service shop trips.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think that is necessary for you. I would buy what you feel best suits your needs but is durable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Id go with the Snapper highvac commerical with the Briggs, it has a oil filter.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Id go with the Snapper highvac commerical with the Briggs, it has a oil filter.
Has Briggs changed much over the past few years? I've only had Briggs that were tolerable. It didn't matter how well I took care of them, they have never been as easy to own in my experience. Maybe on the higher grade/commercial units a Briggs unit is better? It's obvious I'm leaning towards the Honda, but I do really like the oil filter option on the snapper. Maybe I'm splitting hairs. If it matters I never bag, just mulch.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlhfirelion View Post
Has Briggs changed much over the past few years? I've only had Briggs that were tolerable. It didn't matter how well I took care of them, they have never been as easy to own in my experience. Maybe on the higher grade/commercial units a Briggs unit is better? It's obvious I'm leaning towards the Honda, but I do really like the oil filter option on the snapper. Maybe I'm splitting hairs. If it matters I never bag, just mulch.

I think the Briggs on the Snapper is commercial grade, Im thinking of replacing my Snapper.

The problem with the Honda as soon as you get on a slope it will shut itself off.

Birggs @ Stratton bought out Snapper and discontuned Kawasakis on 21" mowers
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I think the Briggs on the Snapper is commercial grade, Im thinking of replacing my Snapper.

The problem with the Honda as soon as you get on a slope it will shut itself off.

Birggs @ Stratton bought out Snapper and discontuned Kawasakis on 21" mowers
Why does it shut itself off? I've not heard of this. Is this on the new models or older ones or what?