Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

kabota mini mini

I was wondering if anyone had experience using the mini kabota k008-3 escavator. Anyone talk about pro's and cons with this little machine. I'm going to look and run one next week. I'm looking into a machine for digging plants and trees and small digging projects during landscape projects. Just want to be more productive than shovels etc. I know this machine is very small but at a price of $18,000 new its tempting. Im not planning on doing heavy escavating anytime soon just for planting etc and small stuff any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

unless there is absolutely no way you would hire more help, dont do it. A couple hard working employee's at 10-15 an hour are a much better imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
It just proves there are rednecks everywhere, not just Georgia.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
unless there is absolutely no way you would hire more help, dont do it. A couple hard working employee's at 10-15 an hour are a much better imo.
Do you have experience with this piece or equiptment.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a couple Takeuchi tb108's which are the same size and they were pretty neat. As you know it won't be digging for anything deep but to mess around and dig tight walkways its great. The kubotas hold their value very well around here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have used one. Not for an extended period of time. But It had the backhoe style controls, and i felt it was really slow and jerky. Dont put to big of a bucket on it. It will feel really unbalanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
It just proves there are rednecks everywhere, not just Georgia.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
i have used one. Not for an extended period of time. But It had the backhoe style controls, and i felt it was really slow and jerky. Dont put to big of a bucket on it. It will feel really unbalanced.
ok cool thanks. I don't feel i need a bigger machine, but mainly i can't justify spending lots of money for a bigger unit. I feel that this machine would be a good machine for the cheaper price and for landscaping jobs, planting trees and moving bolders and digging small trenches and pulling out bushes and smaller stumps etc. I will be more educated with the machine when i demo it next week. I deffinately need something for digging. I thought about a backhoe attachment for my skidsteer, but I'm not to impressed with those and don't want to get a mini backhoe either. Will see. I was also going to look at a bobcat 418 also.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you would better off with mini skid steer with attachments
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
I think you would better off with mini skid steer with attachments
Those mini skids are cool but i allready have a deere track loader315 i could put a backhoe on that. But I'm not a fan on the hoe attachment for them at almost $9,000 grand. It's an option though. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rented the bobcat the first time not knowing what it was capable of exept that it would fit where I needed it to work. I was shocked pretty much across the board on how it worked. of course it's a tiny machine and no comparison to a larger one. The little machine definitly was much more productive than shovels. it was smooth, strong for it's weight, good controls, and hardly used any diesel. I rented it for 2 more jobs that followed doing the same thing. on the fourth job the bobcat was rented out and i picked up the kubota from another rental place. It didn't do anything as well as the Bobcat which I didn't expect. much less stable, much jerkier when travelling, hydraulics not as smooth. it also seemd to struggle more at max depth coming up with a full 12" bucket. on these jobs we were cutting concrete, then loading and taking it away, excavting down to drain lines replacing bad pipe, backfilling and pouring concrete. next time i will try the jackhammer attachment for breaking up the concrete. Hope this helped,
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i rented one of the tiny kubota's last summer. also rented a bobcat 418. i'll never use the kubota again. the bobcat was very nice a smooth and a more stable digger. I highly recommend deoming the 418 before buying the kubota. good luck,
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI