Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Who is starting a lawn business because of getting laid off?

I was just wondering how many people are starting a lawn business because they got laid off due to the economy. Also, where are you starting your business (city and state).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

If they are smart they wont say. lol. I know so many of my buddys who are pissed that they lost work to guys who are cutting for scraps. I dont like scrubs. I do it because I love It not cuz I lost it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

They buy low grade equip cut 14 of their closest relatives and their friends lawns for 25-30$ cant handle fall cleanups and sell off within the first 6 months tryibg to get more than 80% of what they pd for the equipment on lawnsite or craigs list . Dont hurt our industry because u couldnt make it in a career that you choose (not gearing this toward greenman_ just in general)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I started this business as a venture. I'm 22 years old an want to see what I can do over the course of 10-20 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am 31 and I fully intend to be on the mower until I am at least 70..... I started my business as a venture as well and while I fully intend to make a great career out of it, I chose to do landscaping/lawncare because I absolutely LOVE it! Even if it only paid $12.00/hour, I would still do it, why? Because I am my own Boss and Love it!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing lawn care since 2004. I started it because I like the work,I was doing it as a side job because I had a good union job paying very well.I worked for a Major grocery warehouse supply local super markets.I worked nights & mowed days.My night job picked up a major client & we were working 80 hours a week. I went & got a p/t helper for the lawn care. As my job slowed down to 50 hours a week went back to doing lawns .In 2009 my union job lost their major contract & closed. I was out of my so called career job. I went back to doing lawns full time.I have had a few temp jobs since then , but keep coming back to the lawns.It must be a sign.Its fun work but you won't be a millionaire.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane mapes View Post
I have been doing lawn care since 2004. I started it because I like the work,I was doing it as a side job because I had a good union job paying very well.I worked for a Major grocery warehouse supply local super markets.I worked nights & mowed days.My night job picked up a major client & we were working 80 hours a week. I went & got a p/t helper for the lawn care. As my job slowed down to 50 hours a week went back to doing lawns .In 2009 my union job lost their major contract & closed. I was out of my so called career job. I went back to doing lawns full time.I have had a few temp jobs since then , but keep coming back to the lawns.It must be a sign.Its fun work but you won't be a millionaire.
Plenty of millionaires in lawn care
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Plenty of millionaires in lawn care
Posted via Mobile Device
True , but most of us on here is what I'm referring to. Most of us do it for the enjoyment not to become rich...
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

just starting

i am im new to this site and the business im looking for anything that can help me get going Im in ocala
,fl
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Re:

I have been in business for a couple of years now started out as part-time on the side now building the business one at a time. I have noticed a lot of new LCO's because of the economy. I went to the local mower shop and he said there are people left and right coming to buy all new equipment. I wonder how many people will stick with it as well

Greenman33