Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Nitroman Nitroman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: indiana
Posts: 209
How early to put out mailers?

Im in central Indiana and its cold. We're starting round one next week if it's dry, and I've seen one chem lawn mailer in my mail box at home. Have sold a few new accounts this week that called. But I'm wondering if it's to early to spend money on thousands of mailers next week when we all know people usually start to call mid March. Or those people that are like oh it's April 5th and I need to start mowing my lawn, better call a chem company too.

We'll do another mailer later in March or April as well

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
gulfjoe's Avatar
gulfjoe gulfjoe is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus GA
Posts: 1,000
Do you use an online company or local guy? If online who do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM
wildstarblazer's Avatar
wildstarblazer wildstarblazer is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 753
Earlier is better than later. If a national company like Chemlawn is starting already then I would too. I got 2 from them already at my location.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,884
Starting week 1 already, in central Indiana? In February? That seems way early, are your temps even much above freezing at this point?
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Starting week 1 already, in central Indiana? In February? That seems way early, are your temps even much above freezing at this point?
We just had an ice storm on Friday.

Why would anyone apply now with possibly 3-4 weeks of winter left?

Blows my mind to how these guys consider themselves professionals.

Gives the industry a black eye IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Real Green's Avatar
Real Green Real Green is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
We just had an ice storm on Friday.

Why would anyone apply now with possibly 3-4 weeks of winter left?

Blows my mind to how these guys consider themselves professionals.

Gives the industry a black eye IMO.
Just checkin' in Rod. Hope all is well!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Green View Post
Just checkin' in Rod. Hope all is well!
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

How you doing ol buddy!

Miss ya man!

Give me a call sometime.

Hope all is well with you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,353
If...you sold a few new accounts this week...must be the time is right.
Always tricky to get the weather conditions right to induce potential customers to think about lawn care. You have to guess if the weather will be warm and sunny two weeks in advance.
Try to give them a reason to call--an early bird discount or coupon.
And the classic sales pitch--limited time offer--call now. Used often--because it works.
Be sure your photos are top-notch.
Be sure your brochures are at least as good--better if possible--than Tru Green.
Be sure you offer features that are better than truGreen, and be sure to point out how you are different (and better than TruGreen).

Be sure you have a high quality website to reinforce your costly mailings. And a top-quality person to answer the phone. After all it costs about $20 in mailing cost to bring in each phone call.
And get out there and measure the lawn and quote the program and price instantly, if not sooner. Be there; close the sale, before anyone else has a chance. You may need to work 4 to 9 pm so that you can catch both Mr and Mrs at home.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Cadzilla Cadzilla is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 666
Right now, and as close to and before weed pop as possible if you are doing two mailers and mail to the same homes as you did the first time.

I too am wondering about the timing. Seems early for Cent-Ind.

Im a few hundred miles north (maybe less) and won't start for at least four and maybe five weeks.

Last edited by Cadzilla; 02-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Nitroman Nitroman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: indiana
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
If...you sold a few new accounts this week...must be the time is right.
Always tricky to get the weather conditions right to induce potential customers to think about lawn care. You have to guess if the weather will be warm and sunny two weeks in advance.
Try to give them a reason to call--an early bird discount or coupon.
And the classic sales pitch--limited time offer--call now. Used often--because it works.
Be sure your photos are top-notch.
Be sure your brochures are at least as good--better if possible--than Tru Green.
Be sure you offer features that are better than truGreen, and be sure to point out how you are different (and better than TruGreen).

Be sure you have a high quality website to reinforce your costly mailings. And a top-quality person to answer the phone. After all it costs about $20 in mailing cost to bring in each phone call.
And get out there and measure the lawn and quote the program and price instantly, if not sooner. Be there; close the sale, before anyone else has a chance. You may need to work 4 to 9 pm so that you can catch both Mr and Mrs at home.
Your on it man! We sound like twins, we're doing all of that. Have a good spring!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.09562 seconds with 7 queries