Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking to buy Hedge Trimmers

Purchasing some hedge trimmers for this season. Been doing a little research but I have to ask: Any recommendations?

This will be my first pair of gas-powered hedge trimmers. I'm not necessarily brand-specific. I own an Echo blower and 1 STIHL & 1 Redmax trimmer. However, in my opinion Echo is just well made homeowner equipment, but I would buy the hedge trimmers due to not using them very often. Just curious to what the best pair of trimmers would be for me.

I won't be using them a whole lot; I mean just when it's time to trim so spring & fall.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention: Also am looking into buying a Cobo-System such as STIHLs Kombi-System, ECHOs PAS System. or Redmax's Maxtreme system.

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's almost a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. I chose a Stihl HL100z 135* extended reach articulating hedge trimmer, and Echo HC150 for the med size stuff. The little echo workhorse has been a great money maker. Just wish it had a throttle lock.

Ran a new HC150 recently. While it looks the same as the old, the new carb is an unadjustable Chinese turd. And it's so lean as to be very hard to start below 35*. I can't recommend the new HC150. However the old grey ones can be had for around $100 on CL or in pawn shops. Typically an air filter, fuel filter, fuel line, a carb kit and a shot or two of grease in the gearbox will give several years of service.

Try using Fluid film on the blades as a cleaner & lube. Works atreat. Keeps em clean & shiny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would go with husqvarna for both.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I use all Echo 2 cycle equipment and love it. One of the reasons is my relationship with a local dealer that goes beyond what I would expect to keep me happy and working no matter what!

I agree with what GrassGuerilla said about the newer models that have the nonadjustable carbs, but the old ones are not very common around here anymore. Even used. I switched to running ethanol free premium in my 2 stroke gas an all of my problems went away. If one starts to act up, I just replace the carb. They aren't too pricy are a really quick fix. I have had a HC-165 for 3 years now. We have 2 sets of teeth for it so that they can be swapped out for sharpening.

I also have a PAS-266. It's so powerful! Overkill as a string trimmer for sure. Just right for a pole saw. Those are the only attachments I have right now, but I'll be getting more as needed.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

My thing with ECHO is I don't have local dealers. If something was to go wrong I would have to send it off through Home Depot. I have STIHL & Redmax dealers 5-10mins from where I live. But with the hedge trimmers I would buy Echo due to my inconsistent use of them. As I mentioned I have an Echo blower.

I have narrowed down my options to:
Redmax CHTZ2460
STIHL HS 81R
Echo HC-185
Echo HC-165
STIHL HS-56C-E (this being the cheapest in price)

If you feel that I have left one out that would suit my needs please mention. Thanks.

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlade View Post
My thing with ECHO is I don't have local dealers. If something was to go wrong I would have to send it off through Home Depot. I have STIHL & Redmax dealers 5-10mins from where I live. But with the hedge trimmers I would buy Echo due to my inconsistent use of them. As I mentioned I have an Echo blower.

I have narrowed down my options to:
Redmax CHTZ2460
STIHL HS 81R
Echo HC-185
Echo HC-165
STIHL HS-56C-E (this being the cheapest in price)

If you feel that I have left one out that would suit my needs please mention. Thanks.
It's impossible to guess your needs. That said, any of those listed should perform well enough. The top three would likely come down to;

1) how you like the "feel".
2) dealer preference. Would you rather deal with one shop over the others?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

My echo has never let me down.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Wanted a shindi hedge trimmer, but went with the Kawasaki(cost) , going on the third season, I can cut through thumb size branches, has worked great so far
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl makes some NICE hedge trimmers. But the price tag on the "commercial" model is pretty steep. (of course what that says stihl on it isn't?)

I've had the Echo model for some years now, but it was always a battle to get them running. Home depot model, non adjustable carb... I had to gut the muffler out to get them to where they would run well, of course now I must wear hearing protection to use them. lol. I decided yesterday to get some new ones and went with the Husqvarna, not the cheapo with the chinese engine, the pro one. (sorry I don't have the model in front of me). I'll keep my echo for cutting ornamental grasses where they get abused and have the husqvarnas for actually trimming shrubs where I need a nice really sharp cut. I've not even started them yet so I have no opinion of durability, etc.

Tags
echo , hedge trimmer , redmax , stihl