Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need help on spray boom construction

I'm building a boom for the front of my Hustler 60" X-One using a 25 gallon electric sprayer with a 2gpm pump. I've got the mounting of the tank covered as well as the boom support, but I have never done applications using any kind of boom before. I've always used a chemlawn gun so I'm not experienced with tips, nozzles, etc. I need advice on what to use, spacing, and boom height. I prefer a 6' swath and will be using this for pre and post emergent apps. As far as gpm app rate, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Larry

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2013 F-150
2013 Hawkline 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=417009

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 14 ft breakaway boom made by wylie's on the back of my atv. I use a flojet 4.9 gpm pump on a 25 gallon tank with yellow 110 degree ss(1002) teejet tips at 20" spacing. I also like the no drip nozzle body's better. I run 25-40 gallons/acre at 2.5-4.0 mph. I adjust my mixing and application rate and speed depending on what i'm applying, weather and terrain. AI tips probably handle wind better, but don't look as even this time of year on dormant bermuda, if your using dye.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out <www.teejet.com>. They have specs on their tips. I'm using the xr line. 110 degree is for 20" height 80" for 30" height.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Some other things that help productivity that i've done to mine. 1. Added banjo Y strainer. 2. Removed wand and used Y valve for agitation while mixing. 3. Stick pick-up pipe in jug of fresh water and run through pump and boom at the end of the day(washer fluid if very cold). These steps really keep pre-emergent products like prodiamine, surflan, and simizine from settling out and clogging your mesh screens.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of setting up a similar rig and just installed a brass agitator block in the tank at the end of the recirculation line. It will help keep chemicals in suspension like the other poster said. I'm also planning to upgrade to at least a 4 gpm pump to aid in the agitation. 2 gpm is just not enough to run 2 nozzles and agitate properly. I've also ordered a couple of the Teejet air induction nozzles to install on the boom. I'll post pictures once I get it all put together.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. As far as agitation... my personal opinion when it comes to prodiamine (and triplet post emergent) is that once you agitate it, it will be fine for no longer than it takes to spray out 25 gallons at 2 gpm. I have a 50 gallon skid in my truck that I plan on using as a nurse tank for the 25 gallon tank I will have on the mower. I can agitate with the skid prior to or during tranfer to the mower. So I think the standard 2gpm pump that comes on the sprayer will be fine for my needs.

About the boom... 3 nozzles spaced 20" apart maybe? I plan on using a piece of square tubing or angle iron for the boom. I worry about drift, so maybe I need more than 3 nozzles in order to get closer to the turf. Any input? I don't like the ATV booms I've seen at TSC. In my opinion they're too high off the ground to use on the front of a ztr. But, I have no experience with boom applications so I may be wrong. How much are you Oklahoma guys paying for prodiamine and where are you buying it at?

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I sent you a pm on prodiamine. I don't know that I would recommend a 6-8' boom. It takes quite a while to unload, mix, spray, load back up. With a 2gpm pump and 6-8' coverage, it will take a long time to do an acre. I can cover some ground with a 14' boom and 4.9 gpm pump, but 2 skids will usually outperform a boomed ride-on and a backpack on a residential 1-2 acre yard. I use my atv a lot this time of year because gly tends to do better with less carrier, the coverage with dye looks awesome on dorment bermuda and off target drift is less of a concern, since annuals and fruit trees aren't bloomed out and pro, gly and surfactant are a pretty heavy/gallon tank mix. I stick with the boom for ballfields and large rural properties later in the year, but once the gardens come out and 3-way's in the tank, I want a coarser drop. I also use a 9' wheeled walking boom. It lays down the best pattern I've ever seen, but is the most labor intensive piece of equipment I have and sucks in the wind.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
I sent you a pm on prodiamine. I don't know that I would recommend a 6-8' boom. It takes quite a while to unload, mix, spray, load back up. With a 2gpm pump and 6-8' coverage, it will take a long time to do an acre. I can cover some ground with a 14' boom and 4.9 gpm pump, but 2 skids will usually outperform a boomed ride-on and a backpack on a residential 1-2 acre yard. I use my atv a lot this time of year because gly tends to do better with less carrier, the coverage with dye looks awesome on dorment bermuda and off target drift is less of a concern, since annuals and fruit trees aren't bloomed out and pro, gly and surfactant are a pretty heavy/gallon tank mix. I stick with the boom for ballfields and large rural properties later in the year, but once the gardens come out and 3-way's in the tank, I want a coarser drop. I also use a 9' wheeled walking boom. It lays down the best pattern I've ever seen, but is the most labor intensive piece of equipment I have and sucks in the wind.
Just read your pm. Thanks for the reply. Right now I don't do alot of high acreage properties when it comes to apps. Mainly just residentials. I'm just trying to get myself setup equipment wise to do it all. I'll probably use my skid and gun on the residentials and then have the boom for the bigger apps. What kind of tips do you have on your walking boom? Flat? How high off the ground is it? Nozzle spacing? The design I had in mind for the front of my Hustler was more/less copying that of a walking boom as far as height and what not. The reason I wanted 6' width was for my trailer having expanded metal sides. Contructing a folding boom wouldn't be that hard though I guess.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The 14' atv folds down to about 4 1/2' and the walking boom is actually 8 1/2' when folded out and about 3 ' when folded up. It has 9 nozzles on 10" spacing. The height is adjustable. I'm using green flat fan tips, which are a little finer than the yellow. You could easily go with the yellow tips and reduce pressure to 35-40 psi and calibrate and for 1gal/1000.

Your'e going to struggle to achieve what your after with a 2 gpm pump. Those things are a dime a dozen and don't last long. The 4+gpm pumps will really perform well and last a long time. I'm on my second one in 6 years. The first cracked around the diaphram housing. I think it froze w/ some water in it. I siliconed it up and still use it for a transfer pump, but it can't sustain back pressure with the crack. I've sprayed hundreds, if not thousands of acres with my setup and will replace with the same setup when this finally is so corroded and rusted that it is ready to be retired.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
The 14' atv folds down to about 4 1/2' and the walking boom is actually 8 1/2' when folded out and about 3 ' when folded up. It has 9 nozzles on 10" spacing. The height is adjustable. I'm using green flat fan tips, which are a little finer than the yellow. You could easily go with the yellow tips and reduce pressure to 35-40 psi and calibrate and for 1gal/1000.

Your'e going to struggle to achieve what your after with a 2 gpm pump. Those things are a dime a dozen and don't last long. The 4+gpm pumps will really perform well and last a long time. I'm on my second one in 6 years. The first cracked around the diaphram housing. I think it froze w/ some water in it. I siliconed it up and still use it for a transfer pump, but it can't sustain back pressure with the crack. I've sprayed hundreds, if not thousands of acres with my setup and will replace with the same setup when this finally is so corroded and rusted that it is ready to be retired.
Any opinions on the Delavan FB series 7.0 gpm/100 psi pump? I like your idea about calibrating to 1 gpm. Get a little more out of my tank that way too.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer