Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet z-force s commercial 48

I am just starting in the mowing business and was considering this mower for my first. The mower has A 23 HP Kohler command engine on it. I have a part time job now and will be mowing part time. Whats your opinions on this mower?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

So no one has any info about this mower?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have this in a 42 inch have only put on 10 or so hours, but I would go with it, only down side so far is the blades shut off in reverse
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Is your 42" the residential model? The one i am looking at is a commercial model and i am pretty sure the dealer said the blades stayed engaged in reverse on the commercial model?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes it is residential, I am just a high school student in the mowing business for a few summers so I figured that would do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is not a true commercial mower. it is a resi with a commercial sticker on it. even the cub cadet tank model is not to the likes of exmark scag bobcat ferris ect. spend some time reading the forums on this site to make your decision. if your in this business to mow 5 yards and make some candy money it will get you buy but if your getting in the business to make a career then you need to look into a good used walk behind to start out with first cost should be around 2-3k and will give you a good start a good commercial ZTR will run you in the 9-13K range
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
this is not a true commercial mower. it is a resi with a commercial sticker on it. even the cub cadet tank model is not to the likes of exmark scag bobcat ferris ect. spend some time reading the forums on this site to make your decision. if your in this business to mow 5 yards and make some candy money it will get you buy but if your getting in the business to make a career then you need to look into a good used walk behind to start out with first cost should be around 2-3k and will give you a good start a good commercial ZTR will run you in the 9-13K range
I hate to disagree but the tank m series is a commercial mower and is comparable to many of the commercial machines out there in the same price range. You get what you pay for you cannot buy a top of the line exmark or ferris at 14,000 and compare to a $8000.00 tank m but I have had 3 tank m's and all had over 1500 hours on them when I traded them , to bad they switched to a lz model now wich in my opinion is not commercial quality and not at the level of the tank m series I would stay away from this model.

as for the question on the mower you are looking at go with one where you can get value and service , set a price you can afford and take a piece of paper and go thru all the different types of mowers and see what you can get for your money and make a decision from there. if mowing small lawns at first I agree a walk behind can be much more flexible , but if you have large lawns I think you will want a rider , depending on your price point do not forget about standers as well. I would check out snapper pro if tight on money and bad boy as well before making your decision.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

everyone has their opinions. a local dealer sells exmark and cub cadet and ive seen the lazer and tank side by side and i just dont think they are the same quality. But hey if you have good luck with the tank thats great!! thats why there are so many different brands and models out there everyone likes something different. makes the world go around
Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Since i am just getting started i have a budget of about $5000-$6000 if i buy new because i can get 0% financing but if i buy used i will have to cut the cost back. The dealers i have close to me are Cub Cadet, John Deere, Husqvarna, Scag and X-mark. In the price range i can afford new the Cub Cadet looked like it had a better warranty and the Kohler Command engine. Du you guys now anthing in my $$ range from thes other brands?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The JD Scag and Exmark are great mowers but they are priced high for your range , so I would say its between cub and husq , I do not know alot about the husq. Below are some pricing of other models you may want to look into in your price range In a rider the Gravely ZT HD priced from $4900 to 5200 with your choice of decks from 44,48,52,60 This is my best recomendation for a rider for you for the money from what I know.

After that Snapper pro you can get a top notch walk behind that will out last any other mower listed in my list starting at $4899 with deck options from 36,48,52,61 its the sw30 hydro model. You can get a sulky and this mower can be very productive and versitile , and when you are ready to upgrade will give you the best resale value in my opinion.

also check out snapper pro s50xt in 36 or 48 deck starts at $3999

hopefully some people will coment that are familiar with husq , i have heard they have decent zero turns , in my opinion cub cadet has went down hill in the last few years and has mainly left the commercial market and focuses mainly on residential cust. I have a cub m60 tank and they no longer make them after that I will be done with cub cadet so and 4 years ago i had a hydro 48 walk from cub and a m48 , m60 , so I have had a little experience with them , for your money I would go with another brand a fews years back I may have felt differently , but in the end the dealer support plays a big role as well. Good Luck