Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Help, lost biggest customer because he wants a bigger operation

So I got an email today from my biggest customer saying he will not need me for 2013 because they have to go a different path.

I asked if it was me( I a, solo) or they want a bigger operation. He said a bigger operation you were awesome just want more stuff done.

Now this guy and his brother own a billion dollar paving and concrete company in the area. Awesome guy and extremely laid back but never wanted any other work done besides mowing.

Now I a, still solo after my 4th year because I don't have enough work to justify having employees and more equipment. He knows I do other service since I do it all for his neighbors.

Should I respond to him or just let it be. I never lost a customer out of the blue. Any help or suggestions would be great
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hell yes you respond! Explain your current workload hasn't dictated you hire help. As a fellow businessman surely he could understand that. Tell him you would truly appreciate at least the opportunity to exceed his expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let him know that you would be willing to take care of the rest of the stuff he is looking to have done...if the need arises you can hire help temporarily just to get stuff done quicker
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you have to loose by talking with him?

What could you possibly gain by talking with him?

That should settle it.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is kind of odd if he hasn't requested any additional work in the past. Let him know that you can likely do whatever it is he had in mind. Or, it might be a polite way of firing you. If you honestly do a bang up job, there's really not room for improvement, is there?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like it's just a polite way of letting you go. I'm not saying it was anything you did wrong or that he thought you couldn't provide. It could just be that he got a good deal from another company or he knows the owner of the new company or any one of a multitude of reasons like those. It seems like he genuinely valued your work. It might be that he didn't want to give you the real reason which could just be a simple change of scenery for the property. All that being said, you lose nothing by trying to talk to him and stating your case to be kept on. It's a good idea to just talk to him and try to get specific and see what happens. At the very least he should appreciate the good business practices and keep you in mind should something not work out with the new company.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If he has a paving co. its likley he bought a mower and will get an hourley employee to do the cutting. Wont hurt to try to get ahold of him, however in this business you cant make everyone happy, and more accounts will come.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Burnsy work with him tell him you can match the other guy price and you can take the extra work he has for you . Be polite it's all in the talk skills
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I just find it odd, lol I will write up a email later explaining and asking him. I constantly told him I can fertilize and take car elf the weeds for him since his yard was mainly weeds but he said its fine. So I don't know.

We were so posse to meet up last week to walk the property again. But he forgot and said hell catch back up later when he wasn't as busy.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Owns a billion dollar paving company and has a yard full of weeds?
Posted via Mobile Device