Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PJ trailer spring gate assist.

I bought a PJ 6x12 landscape trailer last fall. Great trailer. Built really well. It came with the spring gate assist. When I got the trailer home It didn't seem to have much assist at all. My dealer was so far away that I decided to contact PJ directly to see if they could help. They sent me two brand new springs at no charge. I just installed them yesterday and I see no difference.
Perhaps I am expecting too much of an assist as far as lifting and dropping the gate. It certainly doesn't lift and drop like some of the add on spring assists do. Anybody else with a PJ trailer I'd like to hear there thoughts.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be picking mine up Friday and will let you know what mine is like. I asked my dealer when I ordered mine about the spring assist and he told me that it does help with the weight to make it easier to lift but won't make it feather lite. I asked because I have an EZ Gate lift assist on my old trailer and wanted to know if I needed to take it off the old trailer for the new one.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebox700 View Post
I will be picking mine up Friday and will let you know what mine is like. I asked my dealer when I ordered mine about the spring assist and he told me that it does help with the weight to make it easier to lift but won't make it feather lite. I asked because I have an EZ Gate lift assist on my old trailer and wanted to know if I needed to take it off the old trailer for the new one.
I look forward to hearing what you think.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 20 foot long PJ trailer with a spring assist on it. The springs helps a little bit. It is better than my old trailer.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEZ View Post
I have a 20 foot long PJ trailer with a spring assist on it. The springs helps a little bit. It is better than my old trailer.
Ok, so it's not like the one handed lift like elegator,gorilla lift or any of the other after market gate lifts. Mine helps a little bit also. I thought it would be better.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PJ gate assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer 46 View Post
Ok, so it's not like the one handed lift like elegator,gorilla lift or any of the other after market gate lifts. Mine helps a little bit also. I thought it would be better.
I've had my PJ for a year, and the comments like this one are completely accurate! The standard gate lifts help for sure, but do not make the lift as easy as a Gorilla Lift would. I use mine a limited amount so it's not a big deal, but if I was doing 10 to 15 stops a day, 5 days a week, then I would most likely add a Gorilla Lift to make it "feather light." I had a Gorilla Lift on a previous trailer and it makes such a big difference it's hard to believe how light the gate feels.

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Picked up my PJ trailer yesterday. The gate assist does help quite a bit compared to my old trailer that had none originally. But it doesn't make it weightless like my EZ lift gate assist that I added to my old trailer did. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebox700 View Post
Picked up my PJ trailer yesterday. The gate assist does help quite a bit compared to my old trailer that had none originally. But it doesn't make it weightless like my EZ lift gate assist that I added to my old trailer did. Hope this helps.
So it's not just me. Thanks for the response. I'm going to add a gator gate assist for $85. Looks like a good unit and priced right.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had my trailer for 7 months and within the first 2 months I had pulled the expanded metal off of the outer frame. I have a 2006 66 inch Exmark so it is a heavy mower. I am getting some heavier expanded metal to on it.