Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2003, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo trimmer problems

I have 4 echo srm 2601 trimmers, every single one of them leaks gas out of the carburetor no matter how it's placed in the trimmer rack. What is causing this problem? Does anyone else have this problem? This is really annoying because it all the gas soaks in the air filter and makes starting impossible without drying the air filter out.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check the tank vent, if pressure builds it would send the gas to the carb. Also I believe the cap is vented
Old 02-09-2003, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what causes it but I had two doing it and my dealer put little check valves in the fuel line. Cleared it right up. THe vent replacing did nothing and caps are not vented. If I had to guess their is probably a check valve in carb stuck open. Now I think my stihl blower is doing the same.

Mark
Old 02-09-2003, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, duh! what was I thinking....if the caps were vented there would be no need for the tank vent
Old 02-11-2003, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

If memory serves me correctly the 2601 has a tank vent at the of a piece of fuel line sticking up next to the engine? Also, if the fulcrum height in the carburetor is not set properly it will leak gas out of the carburetor as presure in the ank builds from buoncing around in the back of the truck, or as the temperature rises the fuel expands. If the diaphragms in your carburetors are old and stretched they can also keep the fulcrum open will the engine is not running.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen echo leak around the gas tank gasket where the
fuel lines go thru. The original fuel lines shrink with age and don't fit tight in the stopper. Simply replaces all three lines. I have also gotten new breathers that leak. As you get age on these units the cranshaft bearings will also leak and the head gasket. Usually the units don't last long enough to get to these failures.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If memory serves me correctly the 2601 has a tank vent at the of a piece of fuel line sticking up next to the engine? Also, if the fulcrum height in the carburetor is not set properly it will leak gas out of the carburetor as presure in the ank builds from buoncing around in the back of the truck, or as the temperature rises the fuel expands. If the diaphragms in your carburetors are old and stretched they can also keep the fulcrum open will the engine is not running.

Mr Wrench. do you have any other ideas what would make one leak? I have rebuilt the carbs and reset the fulcrum and we still have the leaking problem. New kits. We are thinking about new carbs. I have pressure tested the carbs and no leaks. It almost acts like the tank is pressuring up too much for the inlet needle to hold. The tank vent on the echo lets air into the tank only.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Ducky, did you install a new needle when you rebuilt the carb? You can put a pressure tester on you carb to see if the needle is leaking at to low pressures. if thats fine i would definetly R&R that tank vent
Old 08-17-2003, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I installed the new needle that came with the kit also a new lever and pin. I noticed that the tank vent vents into the tank but not out of the tank to relieve the pressure that is in the tank. Is it supposed to??
Old 08-17-2003, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

How much fuel is it leaking, Is it dripping out the carb or does the air filter have a little gas on it? does it leak all the time or just some of the time?