Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Should I do lawn care in my spare time?
Yes, worth a try with your equipment 5 35.71%
Yes, but be prepared and plan accordingly more hours than you expect 7 50.00%
No, just stick to your own yard 2 14.29%
No, not willing to commit enough time 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking of Starting Part-Time all suggestions are appreciated.

I work 8-5 everday and make a good living but I am single and can make some extra time, especially to be able to fish a little more often. I own a new Scag Turf Tiger 61" BB with lights, Echo 266T trimmer, Echo 770T Backpack Blower, Echo CS 310 Chainsaw, all organized in an enclosed trailer for my personal use now, but I thought I may be able to make some extra money by working a few nights a week. The market is fairly saturated and I pretty much understand my operating costs, but curious as to how much I need to work to make it worth the wear and tear on my own equipment, if I need to purchase additional Equipment, and any other Pertinent information? Please help, If I shouldn't try it, that is fine, I just have some really nice equipment to use on my own property, but if I should I own it all already!

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not to come across too sour at you or nothing in response to this question. But anyway the reason this market is so saturated is do to this type situation also, and not just the hacks with their pickup trucks out there. Although some on here might say hey go for it, and its good to see the dedication to do something. I do indeed feel that way as well, although this market is saturated and just recently saturated by all walks of life, which burns me up. So just my opinion, choose a profession and leave the lawn and lanscaping to the professionals that are struggling to operate in this economy. The ones that did just that from the beginning of choosing only lawn and landscaping as their profession
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
not to come across too sour at you or nothing in response to this question. But anyway the reason this market is so saturated is do to this type situation also, and not just the hacks with their pickup trucks out there. Although some on here might say hey go for it, and its good to see the dedication to do something. I do indeed feel that way as well, although this market is saturated and just recently saturated by all walks of life, which burns me up. So just my opinion, choose a profession and leave the lawn and lanscaping to the professionals that are struggling to operate in this economy. The ones that did just that from the beginning of choosing only lawn and landscaping as their profession

So if you use a truck, you're a hack? Ummm...ok?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

SO it was OK when you where getting started but God forbid a new person trying.Unless your buying his equiptment wich ofcourse your not,who gives you the write to dictate WHO and What should be in this buisness.HACK AND THERE PICK UP TRUCK.....Mabey thats all they have!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

To answer your original question... your equipment sounds pretty good for just starting out. Just realize that because you can't offer aerating, dethathing, spraying, edging and so forth... that other companies can. Not saying this will hold you back.. just realize you won't be able to do some of the things the professionals can.

I think this is partially why some members are getting upset. They have all of this equipment to meet the needs of the account and they could possibly be beaten out by someone in their truck. Not saying i'm one of these people.
Hell. May the best man win

Final advice.. You start up the right way, legal, dont steal accounts, and honesty will get you a long way. Run with the equipment you have now and add on as need be.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Clawncare View Post
Final advice.. You start up the right way, legal, dont steal accounts, and honesty will get you a long way. Run with the equipment you have now and add on as need be.
I think this is the best advice so far
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I think this is the best advice so far
I couldn't agree more, I will not steal accounts at all, the busines that I am in on my day job is somewhat dependent on you guys, I would be legitimate, I just want to be sure I am prepared! Thanks. Costs me too much on my day job to backdoor or not do things correctly!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

That is your opinion and I take it into consideration, I actually have a very nice career that keeps me inside all day long and I enjoy being outside and have been tending to my 5 acres, my parents 5 acres, my neighbors 4 acres, my grandmothers 15 acres for years and so whereas, I can't say I am a professional I do have experience, nice equipment and set-up, and I feel like you are upset because it has been tough to make it due to competition, you could say "No, I don't think you should" that would be sufficient. But for the professional, I felt like that was an unprofessional response and I appreciate the feedback, but I think you could have done it better! Thanks for your response all others will be appreciated as well!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerslc View Post
That is your opinion and I take it into consideration, I actually have a very nice career that keeps me inside all day long and I enjoy being outside and have been tending to my 5 acres, my parents 5 acres, my neighbors 4 acres, my grandmothers 15 acres for years and so whereas, I can't say I am a professional I do have experience, nice equipment and set-up, and I feel like you are upset because it has been tough to make it due to competition, you could say "No, I don't think you should" that would be sufficient. But for the professional, I felt like that was an unprofessional response and I appreciate the feedback, but I think you could have done it better! Thanks for your response all others will be appreciated as well!
saying "no, i dont think you should"...wouldnt have explained my opinion on the topic at all......simply put, you got the point of being upset due to competition. Lawn and landscaping professions are too easily obtained and easy to get going, even where there is lack of experience or even professionalism so to speak. There needs to be more professional regulations and guidlines to do so. I'm just simply sick of seeing that, from the guy pulling around his mowers with a pinto, to the guy with a full time job and all the indusrties best equipment, wanting to make the so called easy dollars, or extra money. Being under disciplined, or (undeserving...again my opinion) is no way of saturating a market where some have dedicated their entire livelyhood as you did your 8 to 5 everyday choice
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
saying "no, i dont think you should"...wouldnt have explained my opinion on the topic at all......simply put, you got the point of being upset due to competition. Lawn and landscaping professions are too easily obtained and easy to get going, even where there is lack of experience or even professionalism so to speak. There needs to be more professional regulations and guidlines to do so. I'm just simply sick of seeing that, from the guy pulling around his mowers with a pinto, to the guy with a full time job and all the indusrties best equipment, wanting to make the so called easy dollars, or extra money. Being under disciplined, or (undeserving...again my opinion) is no way of saturating a market where some have dedicated their entire livelyhood as you did your 8 to 5 everyday choice
Now that, I can definitely appreciate! I understand and will take it into consideration. Thanks you!