Register free!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Removing moss-does my plan of attack sound rite??

Sent off soil sample and I need 140lbs of lime per 1000sqft. Going to split that up into 2 applications, 100lbs in Spring and 40lbs in the fall. I raked up a TON of moss so step 1 is complete. Here is what im going to do next, let me know your opinions...
-Spread lime ASAP before a couple days of rain in forcast.
-Wait for ground to dry enough and aerate the lawn and drag to break up the cores of dirt
-spread a fescue mix about 10 days after lime application

Was told Fescue would spread and grow well in shade and also told not to seed the yard imediatly after lime application, wait 10 days.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow--140#/K!! That's over 6000/acre. May I ask what was the pH? Just make sure that you use hydrated lime. It will incorporate quicker into the soil. Regular Ag lime takes almost 90 days to be active. Generally it is used in the fall. Some Fescue will grow in the Shade. Check out the Rebel Fescues. The old Rebel II was good for sun or shade. Good Luck and you'll be fine.
Incidentally, in your Subject Line, the word should be "right" not rite--Just an old Foreign Language teacher seeing everything.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You asked about moss and I don't see that you are addressing the moss issue... fescue does not spread well, even the creeping red fescue is less than rapid... we are too cold for tall fescue so I have no experience with that... after you see what germinates and what doesn't,,, add a bunch of AR to fill in for the summer and overseed again with your fescues in the fall...
I would spread a little compost after aerating and drive over it only when dry enough to do so... Do you have wheel marks around the trees from the mowers??? do you have any roots showing from the trees more than a foot or so away from the crown???
The biggest problem with grass not doing well in the shade is that people try to grow it as if it were in full sun... too much water/fert... when the grass does poorly the moss takes over...
How big is this lawn??? and what kind of soil are you dealing with???

Growing grass in the shade instead of moss is an artform, yet anyone who will think about it,, can do it...
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Well moss is one of the main issues with my lack of grass in the yard. Ive been told the only thing that works is to rake as much out as possible. The soil ph is 5.1, I live in western PA. would either of you approach things differently?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor99montero View Post
Well moss is one of the main issues with my lack of grass in the yard. Ive been told the only thing that works is to rake as much out as possible. The soil ph is 5.1, I live in western PA. would either of you approach things differently?
As stated earlier, these things will NOT solve your moss issues LONG TERM... This may provide steps in the general desired direction,,, but first and foremost this is a cultural issue in which fundamental changes to the general environmental conditions,,, need to be addressed...
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

trim or cut the trees
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The lime is a good idea, but that alone will not fix the problem...

I would do as I've laid out already... it is a strategy,,, not a quick fix...
as long as irrigation/fert are not reigned in,you will never provide habitat for grass,,, only moss...
Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You also may want to check into solu-cal instead if lime we use it a lot around here
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor99montero View Post
Sent off soil sample and I need 140lbs of lime per 1000sqft. Going to split that up into 2 applications, 100lbs in Spring and 40lbs in the fall. I raked up a TON of moss so step 1 is complete. Here is what im going to do next, let me know your opinions...
-Spread lime ASAP before a couple days of rain in forcast.
-Wait for ground to dry enough and aerate the lawn and drag to break up the cores of dirt
-spread a fescue mix about 10 days after lime application

Was told Fescue would spread and grow well in shade and also told not to seed the yard imediatly after lime application, wait 10 days.
Moss is usually the result of environmental conditions. If you do not change them I would not expect different results, long term. A good saying I like to keep in mind is "To repeat the same things over and expect different results is the definition of ______". You can fill in the blank.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If its in the shade just leave the moss at least its green....