Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 or 4 cycle trimmer

Need to buy a new trimmer. I might get more than just the basic. Thinking echo. I know they ahve 4 cycle. Is this worth getting. being a more complex and slower rpm engine with higher hp, it should be more robust and last longer?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo 4-stroke? I wasn't aware of Echo making any 4-cycle trimmers. I can attest that their 2-strokes are very good. Likely to last a typical homeowner many years if set up and stored properly. Several good seasons with little to no thought given.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GrassGuerilla; 03-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Echo 4-stroke?
Posted via Mobile Device
yea...............
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless there are recent developments that I'm not aware of, I don't believe you will find any Echo trimmers with 4 stroke technology.

Since the Echo-Shindiawa merger, it's just my opinion that the merged company is going to let the Shindiawa side produce the 4 stroke equipment under the Shindiawa brand until Echo has been assured there are no problems. If you do happen to find a 4 stroke Echo, you can be pretty much assured that it's a Shindiawa with an orange suit.

I have a Shindiawa T2500 from the first year production, 2001 or 2002, that has not had any problems. The valve problems that have emerged in other 4 stroke equipment has not become a problem--as yet.. I've checked the valve clearance on several occasions--no adjustment needed.

If you have any chain link or similar fence to trim, the 4 stroke is the way to go--higher torque at lower rpms avoids a lot of line grabbing.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth. Other opinions may vary.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Google returned nothing on echo 4 cycle trimmers.

For what it's worth, get a 2-stroke echo 225 or 230 or Husqvarna 223, 323, 326, or 327 while you can. $200-300. All of the above will serve you well and are 2-cycles. If you must go 4-cycle look at the Husqvarna with the four stroke Honda motor (at lowes or better yet at a Husky dealer.

The dealer will set it up properly giving you a much better experience with the tool. Probably the same price + - $20.

Even if you get it at a box store, it's worth taking it to a dealer for set up for the $20-30. Unless you know how to adjust the carb yourself (in which case I doubt you would be asking).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe the 4 stroke they showed me last year was a husqvarna. im not a fan of them so ill probably stick with echo.

but in general, would a 4 stroke last longer than a 2 stroke?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
maybe the 4 stroke they showed me last year was a husqvarna. im not a fan of them so ill probably stick with echo.

but in general, would a 4 stroke last longer than a 2 stroke?
4 stroke will out last a 2 stroke

When I ran 2 strokes they would only last 2 yrs, free of problems most time by 3rd year they was a big problem. I don't like down time.
I'm on the 4th year on my 4 strokes and haven't done a thing to them only just the values.
I don't buy the cheap ones either If it sales in a big box store, I don't want it.
I like 30cc or bigger. Bigger the motor the faster I can walk and trimmer keeps up with my walking
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In terms of a trimmer, in my experience no. Everyone I know who has bought a 4-cycle trimmer has had trouble in a couple years. Some almost immediately. Thus the industry standard is still 2-stroke. Only exception has been the Honda trimmer (heavy and expensive) and the Husqy with the Honda motor.

From a strictly mechanical perspective 4 stroke should last longer. In practice with engines that are used in multiple positions and orientations, not so much. Two of my neighbors bought Troy bilt four stroke trimmers two years ago. Both bought Echo's last year when the TB's were troublesome. There might be a "good" four stroke trimmer out there, but the pros are using 2-strokes for good reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice. Ill go ahead and stick with a 2 stroke.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No echo 4 strokes in the pipeline. As for longevity I attribute that more to maintenance than design. Detroit Diesel used to make 2 stroke diesels for semis. Sounded badazz, smoked a ton, but lasted just as long their 4 stroke counterparts. In other words millions of miles. I have several BR600 4 strokes that get treated well and have had zero issues. Good oil and valve checks make the difference. Its not necessarily more power, but a different power curve and sometimes a weight penalty. To me trimmers are like guns, all will get the job done, but only a few feel truly good in your hands.
Posted via Mobile Device