Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SEO Help

Hi Guys,
Had my website built last year and want to know how to get better results on seo search. I don't know anything at all about SEO and was wondering if any of these online companies that provide SEO services are worth it. I feel like the web is the only way people look for stuff now and want to put my website to work. I have talked to my web designer about keywords but he doesn't deal with SEO really. I'd like to get my website to appear when people type in landscaper wakefield ri, stuff like that. Also my google places ad doesn't seem to be working properly either. Any information would help, my websites rlmlandscaping.com
Thanks,
Ryan
48" Great Dane Surfer
48" Walker GHS
Stihl Handhelds
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ryan, SEO services are one of those esoteric services where you can get out of it what you put in to it. If the service is a hundred bucks a month, with 99% certainty I can tell you it's not worth it. If it's $300/month, or a fixed fee service, then it becomes a matter of vetting the person or company and understanding what's included.

Regarding your site, it definitely needs much of what would constitute a standard SEO punch list. From basic SEO devices, ramping up localized content and tags, to getting a consistent use of a Name/Address/Phone on your site that matches up with any off-site citations and local accounts. For example, your Google Places page has an address, whereas your site has nothing but your phone number. It helps to have all instances the exact same, and most importantly, to have it the same on your own web site. Consider this a corroboration of your business, and site's, legitimacy.

If you want to have a better understanding of the concepts, read the past reviews here or search for Google and seomoz's respective beginners guides to SEO. I've linked those quite a bit here, and they are a great intro.

Questions or clarifications, just yell.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tony has some good advice for you. Here are the steps I would follow:

1- Read the Google and SEOmoz beginner's guides.
2- Get your on-page SEO stuff correct.
3- Get a Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Houzz page. You do not have to actively use all these. Just make sure you claim them and fill out your profile. If you are only going to use one- make it G+.
4- Citations. Find all the places online where your business is listed. Make sure the NAP is exactly the same for each one. If you dont have tons of time pay Yext or Whitespark to do this. If you are in a smallish market just these three steps will get you very visible. Big or competitive market?
5- Links. There are a million articles. Read about ten recent ones. Do not do this the wrong way or you will get spanked by Google!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
If you are in a smallish market just these three steps will get you very visible.
Exactly. If the guys in smaller markets would just do the basics, albeit with solid execution, it does not take long, or a ton of effort, to get page 1 ranking. As we've recently discussed here, Google's Webmaster Tools and faster indexing is making the task much easier.

And if you're in a larger market, break the whole of the city down in to the sum of the parts. Target the suburbs or related towns. It's significantly easier to target, say, my city of Upper Arlington, rather than Columbus, Ohio. I'm 4 miles from the city center of Columbus, and ranking for that is a difficult task, whereas ranking for Upper Arlington is much, much easier.

Using the above, I mentioned last week that I created a brand new page for an LCO for a localized page for a city that had only been previously mentioned in a list of service areas (read: it didn't register on Google). Within 24 of creation and the sitemap submitted to Google, the page debuted just below the 7 Pack of Local results. Fast forward a week and that page is now the #2 overall result, above the 7 Pack. It's completely doable, just create a strategy and experiment to get to a point where you can replicate.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truthfully, until your pages are set up to convert visitors into paying clients, all the SEO in the world, or traffic for that matter, will be useless.

60% of pages will fail to recoup their build costs and 20% of those will fail to even cover their monthly hosting.

Why?

Because people build giant "About Us" websites with no focus on what it uniquely offers a visitor right now and prompts them to pick the phone up, fill out a form or add to a shopping basket right now. Is that how you buy? when you look at a company, are you looking for their resume first or what they say will make your life better right now?

Approach as a consumer first, then you can serve all that you think they need to know on other pages. but if they're not convinced within seconds that you have something important to their lives, they are gone.

You get the same amount of attention time that a TV, radio spot or billboard get to hook and drive about 3-5 seconds. Then you can make the rest available to strengthen the decision. But if there isn't already a green light going off, the rest is meaningless.

Focus on the conversion, then you worry about driving traffic in a continually escalating game like SEO. Get someone to evaluate your pitch and write sales copy, if necessary. That will have a far more measurable payback than anything else.

Keep in mind this applies to blind traffic, people that know nothing or next to nothing about you, the kind that would be driven by search. For those who are looking for additional information after getting a bid in person etc, drive them to the appropriate pages and again, acknowledge why they are there with focused information that's relevant to their reason for being there.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some are worth it. I hired one in Dec and now I'm on page 1 (previously page 10 or worse). There are about 200 landscape operations locally.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmlandscape View Post
Hi Guys,
Had my website built last year and want to know how to get better results on seo search. I don't know anything at all about SEO and was wondering if any of these online companies that provide SEO services are worth it. I feel like the web is the only way people look for stuff now and want to put my website to work. I have talked to my web designer about keywords but he doesn't deal with SEO really. I'd like to get my website to appear when people type in landscaper wakefield ri, stuff like that. Also my google places ad doesn't seem to be working properly either. Any information would help, my websites rlmlandscaping.com
Thanks,
Ryan
Any competent web designer should have a reasonable understanding of SEO. It comes with the territory. Sure you can't expect your web designer to do all your link building, webmaster account management and copy writing, but your web designer should absolutely be considering SEO principals when designing your site. If they're not, find someone who will.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the infor guys. I'll have to start doing some research and talk to my web guy and see if he can handle working on any of this. If he can't I might have to go look for someone else to do it.
48" Great Dane Surfer
48" Walker GHS
Stihl Handhelds