Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Transition Time Between Winter & Spring - What Do You Do?

Hopefully we are done with snow and a slow warming trend will creep our way in the coming days and it will finally get above freezing and then some spring like weather. Only problem, I'm going nuts I'm so bored!!! Just had my last class lecture of my Hort program today (graduate in May), a couple projects due early next week and then an online based class/project to do after April 1st. I've basically done all the prepwork for the year so far, just about every spring renewal letter w/ proposals have been sent out to my existing clients and am waiting their return to then mail back invoices & contracts. All billing is entered as of the most recent snow storm (Monday), P&L breakdowns by each storm have been completed. My routes for my EDDM postcards have been set up, just waiting for it to warm up & the snow to melt prior to getting them sent out. Equipment is basically ready to go, I have 2 WB mowers for sale and am awaiting buyers and then I'll be purchasing a ZTR w/ bagger system and getting a dethatch rake mount bar on it will take less than an hour.

I came up with a list of how to improve day-to-day efficiency in order to make work days shorter, ie. have all tools needed for the job ready to go the night before, make as little amt of trips to the yard waste site as possible, tighter route planning, no one time mowing unless it's a neighbor to an existing client, etc.

The things I enjoy doing (motocross & golf) are done outside, and when there's an 8" snowpack and it's 5 degrees with 30 mph winds, that's nonexistent. Last year at this time it was 70 degrees!

Sorry if I'm on a rant, but what do you guys do when you have literally nothing to do? I'm not one that just sits around and I hate the cold so doing anything outside doesn't cut it until it warms up.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im with you on everything. I've been getting ready for spring like you. It's far from here seriously. So I'm making myself get back to work this week I don't care how cold it is. My life and buisness model isn't laid out to not be working in March so I've been in a weird and confused state also. Good luck to you too, I know how you feel and sure alot of other guys here do to!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located? This is my 3rd year in business, first year I didn't start advertising until late April/May and was working full time & going to school so I wasn't bored in March. Last year, self explanatory. This year, I just have last year's warm spring in my mind and how much work we were able to do before April 1st and it's driving me nuts. A couple years down the road when I have a house of my own with some land and a motocross track & a track'd skid, on the semi-warm days (30s) I could be using it to move snow off my track to get it nice and prepped to ride, but that unfortunately isn't the case.
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year, so I am trying to get all the string trimmers and blowers running looks like the lines are clogged not happy about that, got my smaller push mower going since I am going out of the bed of my truck right now, love the 20" Cub Cadet, never had problems til it did an auto no-start thing when the oil got low because my dad never changed it, thing has been sitting since 2010 and it started right up today. Prep is all I am doing... and school.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgot to add, my graphics guy is out of town until the end of the month, so I'm awaiting getting my truck graphics done. Oh wait, I haven't fully reg'd for a DOT #, need to get that completed. Well there's the one hour's time spent not being bored afterward I'll fire up my xbox for the first time in at least a week or so, kill some time on BOPs II and Netflix.
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get some orange golf balls
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo, so during winter I take care of the most important component of my operation....ME!
I get some exercise, get my annual physical, get some rest and recreation.

All equipment was ready to go before it went into storage. (except for one bearing in an electric clutch that was getting a little noisy).

Once the work is done, stop working! Worrying about it won't make it any better but will make you worse.
The 10 hour days will start soon enough. You don't want to burn out before they even start.

I must be a little anxious to get bck to work or I wouldn't be logging onto Lawnsite. But I also logged onto Ohio weather, lows in the 20s' highs in the 30s' SNOW....gddtracker.net indicates soil temps are too low for pre-emergence. So screw it! I paid the lot rent in for my camper in Ft. Myers for another week, and I'll check again next week.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
I'm solo, so during winter I take care of the most important component of my operation....ME!
I get some exercise, get my annual physical, get some rest and recreation.

All equipment was ready to go before it went into storage. (except for one bearing in an electric clutch that was getting a little noisy).

Once the work is done, stop working! Worrying about it won't make it any better but will make you worse.
The 10 hour days will start soon enough. You don't want to burn out before they even start.

I must be a little anxious to get bck to work or I wouldn't be logging onto Lawnsite. But I also logged onto Ohio weather, lows in the 20s' highs in the 30s' SNOW....gddtracker.net indicates soil temps are too low for pre-emergence. So screw it! I paid the lot rent in for my camper in Ft. Myers for another week, and I'll check again next week.

Yes I know, I need to learn how to relax but its's not really me.*My dad is the exact same way, pretty rare he sits down & relaxes.
I'd go down south to FL or TX to ride/race mx but I'm at the point where I'd rather put profits towards reinvesting rather than vacations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a good thing to be prepared and have nothing to do. Now you are ahead of the ball for the season. Spend some of your time now relaxing focusing on you.
Next best thing to do it use this time for networking/cold calling. Find some business's you are interested in working with either purchasing from or trying to work for. Give them a call tell them about you learn about them. The best thing you can have in any business is good relationships. Spend some time working on those.

You are much further ahead than we are right now. Finishing some advertising things, equipment will come out of storage shortly, have a new landscape trailer to set up so on and so on. But the one thing we have been spending time on is building relationships with new customers/suppliers and working on strengthening old ones.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
It's a good thing to be prepared and have nothing to do. Now you are ahead of the ball for the season. Spend some of your time now relaxing focusing on you.
Next best thing to do it use this time for networking/cold calling. Find some business's you are interested in working with either purchasing from or trying to work for. Give them a call tell them about you learn about them. The best thing you can have in any business is good relationships. Spend some time working on those.

You are much further ahead than we are right now. Finishing some advertising things, equipment will come out of storage shortly, have a new landscape trailer to set up so on and so on. But the one thing we have been spending time on is building relationships with new customers/suppliers and working on strengthening old ones.
I may just do that, I still have my eyes on a few commercial properties I'd like to possibly bid on, and Hedberg did send me some info on obtaining a commercial acct with them. The remaining letters w/ proposals are being typed up as o type this. All I have left besides that is to get a DOT inspection and then like I said about my graphics guy, then I'm good to go!
Posted via Mobile Device