Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Timemaster vs used 32-36"

I don't know what to get a new timemaster or a used 32-36" 14hp walkbehind for the same price. I'm advertising to residential lawns and the average around here is 6500sqft.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have a lot of trees in many of our lawns, and the Timemaster will do less damage to the turf...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tough call. I have them all. Really depends on many factors. Strength of the TimeMaster 30 is you can forget the 21" most of the time. Also a rear bagger, rapid height change unlike its cousin the Exmark Commercial TurfMaster 30.

The personal pace drive is best saved for flatter lawns with gentle slopes. Forget extended step up and downs with that mower. For those I use the yBravo25.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A 36 or 44 walkbehing and a 21 is what I would do. I finally saw a timemaster in person I want impressed, although I have not operated one.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

i really like the concept of the timemaster, however, i do not think i would get one until it is "perfected." Id go with a 36"
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty's lawncare View Post
i really like the concept of the timemaster, however, i do not think i would get one until it is "perfected." Id go with a 36"
Yep. In the wrong application these 30" pushmowers will not save anytime over a lighter, quicker and more nimble 21". In theory they sound great but I am not buying in yet. I am only sipping the kool aid at this point. I am leaning towards the residential model if I would get one. It is lighter and will only set me back a thousand. If these units turn out to be duds there will be no resale value regardless if it is a commercial or a residential unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I just can't see how these new 30" mowers can be anywhere near as productive as a commercial walk behind mower.

We mow very well maintained Bermuda, and spring/early summer growth can be very thick. I know that our 21", with the same engine as the Turfmaster, will struggle in the early part of the year. I think that the same engine on the 30" mower would be a disaster.

Our 32" walk behind will mulch the early spring growth with ease, and leave a absolutely beautiful cut without any problems.

I think that comparing Turfmaster with a commercial walk behind is comparing apples to oranges.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I'll go with the larger motor for the thick grass. I cut 3 lawns 2 years ago with a yardworks 21" 6.5hp. One yard my cut rate was 143sqft/min (13.3m2/min), and the other 2 which had thick grass took twice as long per sqft.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't get a timemaster or anything with a briggs and stratton engine. I had a timemaster and it was great in dry conditions for about a week of mowing all day every day but with spring growth all it did was clump. As soon as you disengage the blades all you get is a bunch of clumps falling from under the deck to clean up.

The RPM's kept going crazy high and I kept taking it back to the dealer and after three attempts they found out it had shattered the governor gear inside the engine. They fixed the issue under warranty but I parted ways with the mower and got a used 36in walk behind and it was a world of difference. The walk behind I bought crapped out on me and I now have a new Gravely hydro 36in and its amazing. What ever you do don't buy the time master.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Um....Toro TimeMaster 30 is a nichie mower to replace TimeWaster 21's. It's a rear bagger and your 32 or 36 WB is not. My BOP Quick mowers flat out destroy the manicured cut quality of my Toro 30 with last years blades, however if I'm stuck bagging there is side catcher in the way and that sucks....even if cut quality is higher. Deck height adjustment is insanely fast unlike the Exmark 30 commercial.

Yeah there were several lemons last year and mine can be a tad hard to start despite a dealer check out.

Anyhow the commercial version seem to be well liked but they are in fact the same functional design.
Posted via Mobile Device