Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting my 52" V-ride tomorrow!

Should I:
A. Get the universal mulching plate
B. Side discharge everything
C. Get the dedicated mulch deck on it

If A or B, should I upgrade blades?

I want to mulch as close to 100% as possible. I have a Walker that needs a little TLC that I can use for bagging for the customers that are stingy with not letting me mulch or overgrown yards that have to be bagged.

But there are alot of unknowns with how much it will cost to fix and for how long it will last, so I would love to have the option to bag with the Scag, so basically is the mulching deck significantly better enough to warrant the mower to being totally dedicated, or is there not that much difference? How much difference is there between the mulching deck and a deck with upgraded blades and a plate on it? Because then with tall or wet grass I can take the plate off and either side discharge it or bag it to disperse the clippings better.

Sorry for the long post,
Danny
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never mulched with my 52 but some on here say the V+ deck isn't the best for true mulching. The Scag decks leave a very nice cut and are good at evenly discharging large amounts of clippings with no clumping. I use mine with Gator G5s and rarely have to double cut anything but severely overgrown properties. I have the mulching plate (block-off) but only use it when cutting close to a house, vehicle, or landscaped areas.

Before you buy a bunch of mulching add-ons, try the G5s or G6s and see how they work for you side discharging. I try to set my mowers up to be as versatile as possible and with this setup I can cut manicured properties and still plow through overgrown properties and make them look nice with a few passes.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will be happy with it! I have been loving my 52 vride until I saw the Exmark Vantage with ECS at the dealer today! The vride is now for sale lol.