Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

36 RH deck issues

I cannot for the life of me get my deck leveled out. the right blade (standing on mower) is perfect, 1/4'' pitch, level side to side.

the left blade is roughly 3/16'' higher, only 1/16'' pitch front to back, level from side to side. spin the blade 180 degrees same thing. these measurements are with brand new blades, had issues with the ones i took off though too.

am i looking at a bent deck or is there something i can check? tire pressure is actually 2psi higher on right side, so evening them out may even make it worse. both bolts on front deck brackets are in middle holes. 2 spacers on top of each blade, and casters are installed properly. Visually i can't see any bend in the deck. its only got 100hrs on it, 1yr warranty left. is something like this covered under warranty?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Usually if there is something wrong with the spindle the amount the blade is off will change in the opposite direction when the blade is spun (bent shaft causes the blade to wobble up and down when spun). If the blade doesn't change when spun then usually the deck is the culprit because it will always carry the spindle and blade the same. What you are describing appears to be a problem with the deck if you have a small straight edge run it along the deck shell around the spindle to see if a high spot shows up (spindle may have to be removed to find the bent area). There are a couple ways to fix the shell depending on what is found. The rear tires could still be a culprit if they are slightly different heights due to the tolerence in tires, switching the tires from side to side is the easiest way to see if the tire height is affecting the blade heights.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't remember it being an issue when i got the mower last year, i'll try switching tires. i removed the spindle on friday and ran a straight edge around, there was a slight height difference where spindle mounts, but more noticeable on underside of deck where anything had been welded to topside of deck. almost like the welding had warped those areas slightly. it appeared to be fairly flat where spindle mounts, maybe 1/16'' up if that. how do you recommend fixing the shell, something has gotta be done about it, bent or not that side needs to be lower.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

The best way is to bolt an old housing into the deck (a housing with no shaft or bearings) slide a pole into the housing and pry the deck in the direction of the high spot. Heat from the weld distorts the metal around it so it is not uncommon to see metal deflection around weld points, warpage from welding will tend to show it self as a shell that is warped across the deck not just in one specific area. Depending on where the bent metal (high spot) is around the spindle will let you know the impact direction that caused the issue, bent at the back it took a forward hit and bent at the front means it took a backward hit. If minor enough some people will just shim the housing with washers when it is bolted in to correct the blade height, would rather see the deck tweeked as above but the shims can work.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't have an old housing so i'll have to give the washer trick a shot. i cannot imagine what would have been hit to cause the deck to bend, sure don't remember hitting anything that hard
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

is there anything i can do to strengthen the deck?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Adding some steel around the spindle mounting location would help, we weld a piece of 7 ga in the larger ZK decks so around the spindle location its two layers of 7 ga. I believe the bare metal reinforcement can be ordered, it is part number 81460169.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

will that change the blade spacing in the deck enough to make a difference, or do i just add another washer on top of the blade? assuming the weldment goes on top? or bottom of deck in which i'd have to remove a spacer. may just make my own. i'm pretty disappointed in the quality if the deck is truly bent, i'm very mindful of hitting things. it's hit the trailer a couple times loading, but thats very low speed and hardly a scrape. in my mind it should take a very hard hit to bend a commercial mower deck, i would fully expect my spindle to be bent or broken before the deck being damaged. I will gladly send you the spindle if you would like.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Since the spindles mount on the under side of the deck adding the reinforcement on top would not require any spacing, if put on the underside removing one spacer will keep the difference minimal. Sometimes the speed of the mower isn't related to whether a deck shell might get tweeked, at mowing speed sometimes you can hit something and the outer edge hits first and causes the mower to jump up a bit and the blade or spindle never hit. The front is designed to take a hit but if you hang up a blade traveling at 19000 fpm it can but alot of torque into the top of the shell, same as hanging up a blade bolt, blade bolts don't usually glance off when they catch something so it puts alot of force into the deck shell. The more that gets added to the mower to make it able to withstand everything the heavier it gets and weight is a factor of performance so there has to be a balance.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

now i'm thinking it might be a spindle bent? i messed with it a bunch and thats the conclusion i'm coming up with now. are there any other spindles or aftermarket ones that work with this mower? i'd really prefer to use a through bolt one as the factory ones are a pain to change blades without an impact and jacking the mower up