Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why they say to stay solo...

Any stories of guys running a small crew or multiple crews that aren't horribly depressing?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scares me.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't be. If you want to be big time all the power to you. Alot of people on this site are solo. They are landscapers, not businessmen. You should work ON your business, not IN your business.

There is a huge difference.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Don't be. If you want to be big time all the power to you. Alot of people on this site are solo. They are landscapers, not businessmen. You should work ON your business, not IN your business.

That's what I'm trying to do. Thank you for the encouragement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
That's what I'm trying to do. Thank you for the encouragement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Me and you both. Don't be discouraged. I was the same way brainwashed by this site until I worked for a larger local company. They do millions a year and he lives in a 4 million dollar house with several vacation houses. All in 15 years.

My father made the same mistake of working IN his business for 20 years. That won't be me. He doesn't agree with me and can't see my visions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Me and you both. Don't be discouraged. I was the same way brainwashed by this site until I worked for a larger local company. They do millions a year and he lives in a 4 million dollar house with several vacation houses. All in 15 years.

My father made the same mistake of working IN his business for 20 years. That won't be me. He doesn't agree with me and can't see my visions
Posted via Mobile Device
your visions are fine and dandy. but in the end they are YOUR visions. so don't pass someone else's visions on as a mistake or wrong.

not everyone desires to make millions a year and live in a 4 million dollar house with several vacation homes. not everyone's vision is to work on there business vs in there business as you put it.

I'm living my vision with a solo lawn maintenance business and have been for the past 7 years and hope to continue that vision another 20-30 years or longer if I can.

a mistake? nope.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post
your visions are fine and dandy. but in the end they are YOUR visions. so don't pass someone else's visions on as a mistake or wrong.

not everyone desires to make millions a year and live in a 4 million dollar house with several vacation homes. not everyone's vision is to work on there business vs in there business as you put it.

I'm living my vision with a solo lawn maintenance business and have been for the past 7 years and hope to continue that vision another 20-30 years or longer if I can.

a mistake? nope.
I like your style
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

a mistake? nope.
What happened to yardguy28? Did you have a birthday and need a new ID?

I have a plan and it isn't to stay working in the field forever. I am trying to grow slow and steady.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

a mistake? nope.
Like I said there's a difference between a landscaper and business man.

My father worked 80 hours a week for 20 years. Yes he had employees anywhere from 3 to a dozen. He ran himself into the ground doing it and now has some health issues.

And I would never live in a 4 million dollar house no matter how much money one has. To me that's a waste of money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device