Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Should I bring my (partner) to small claims court?

Oh god I don't know where to start.

When we had 40+ inches of snow and I needed a pay loader to remove snow from some of my customer's driveways. My friend vouched for this guy we will call John Doe on this forum. Well he seemed to over charge at around $600 a driveway which I believe customer's can report that because CT has a new act or something from what I read on WTNH.COM for inflating prices or some sort of word like that but this is just the small slice of the problem.

Well we do a driveway for my friends friends house and since we did a nice job he said he can hook me and John Doe with the board of school's. So John Doe tells me to meet him to the Highschool. He said the board of ed guy wants us to do 3 schools in the same town. Just certain parts that their trucks can't get and I also had to use his machine on the large sidewalks. Well he said we will split the $4800 in half after taxes and gas on the machine so he said $1600 cash. I agree and I have proof on text and voice mails. Well while I was using his machine 60%-80% of the time I found him nodding out from Heroine in his truck on a few schools for like 3-4 hrs. He then asked if I wanted any and I said no.

Well We did all the schools and the school was very happy with our work. I used my truck to clean up any lines of snow left. We spent like 2-3 days doing 3 schools. Well he got the checks checks Late Feb or early March and only paid me $1200 out of the $1600. He claims he never got the 4th check. I found out he blew most of the money on a prostitute at a hotel and on heroine, and coke! He then post pictures of the supercharger he bought from a friend for his Mustang. He then keeps buying parts from what I saw on his facebook profile!

I waited and he keep saying he never got the check so I go to the board of ed and they say they gave him ALL 4 CHECKS ON FEB 27th!!!!!!! So I go to his jobsite since his daddy is a builder. I ask him did you get the last check and he says NO! I said John Doe you are lying to me! His foreman looks at him and John Doe screams GET OFF MY F***** JOBSITE! HE THEN SAYS IT AGAIN AND SAYS HE IS CALLING THE COPS. I told him your already in deep s*** since I looked up his name and shows a long criminal record plus 4-6 pending on April for death of injury or risk because he sideswiped a guy that was dating his ex, 40oz of weed but it was really heroine that he got in NY from a shipment from overseas and breach of peace and something else.

Well now he told my friend he is going to sue me because he might lose his job which is bull because the foreman or builder is best friends with the father. I told him I want my money and he said screw you. I don't care if I don't win but people like him should suffer I heard he stiffs people out of money from craigslist. I don't know what to do. I think he knows I am bringing him to small claims court.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 04-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just to let you know the school wanted proof that there was a legit business doing the schools so I gave him my business papers to make a copy and my IRS tax id number. The school says the check was written to his name though???????

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 04-01-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run don't walk as fast as you can away from this guy and anything to do with his operation. Reputation is everything and yours is about to be tested just by your association with John Doe.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should I bring my (partner) to small claims court?

Get your money. Teach him a lesson. If your not hard up mauve leave it. This guy seems unstable. Those kind of guys shoot people them themselves.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holy cow. I agree that you need to stay far away from this guy... facebook...everything, and probably his friends(mutual). If you can do without the money, forget about it, lesson learned. You could "get back at him", but it sounds like he is on a down spiral. Spend your energy on positive.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably didn't understand it all, but my take is you lost $400. I agree with some on here get away and stay away.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep losing money and you will finally learn, maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds easy to prove. Determine if the guy received the fourth check, and then determine if you received it. Am i missing something? Get that money. You don't have to be involved with him, the court will do it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For $400 bucks i would cut all ties with him and call it a life lesson, You just got an education, It cost you $400 bucks, that's a cheap education in my book.

In the future if you want to succeed in this business you need to understand that your name is all you have, so you need to surround yourself with people who aren't scumbags.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
For $400 bucks i would cut all ties with him and call it a life lesson, You just got an education, It cost you $400 bucks, that's a cheap education in my book.

In the future if you want to succeed in this business you need to understand that your name is all you have, so you need to surround yourself with people who aren't scumbags.
This is the correct answer. Even if you take him to small claims court and win, you will never get your money.