Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,815
Kawasaki 15hp twin no voltage going to regulator

I all these years in this business I have never run into this problem. Also electrical is not my strong suit. So anyway the 15hp kawi is not charging on our 34Z this spring. Worked fine when we parked it late last fall.

I put a volt meter on the plug coming from under the engine cover that plugs into the regulator. I get nothing at all from that plug. I also checked the 3rd wire going to the regulator and also nothing. At this point what is the issue likely to be? Having never had this problem before now the charging system beyond the regulator is new to me on these machines. I think I understand the theory on how they work but not 100% sure.

Am I looking at a failed stator maybe?
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,779
You have two wires coming from the stator that plugs to the regulator, The third wire activates the regulator and is also the path for re-charging the battery.

You should have battery voltage on this third wire with either the key on or off at the regulator, If you don't check for a blown fuse/broke or corroded wire/connections.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
You have two wires coming from the stator that plugs to the regulator, The third wire activates the regulator and is also the path for re-charging the battery.

You should have battery voltage on this third wire with either the key on or off at the regulator, If you don't check for a blown fuse/broke or corroded wire/connections.....


I am not getting anything from any of the 3 wires at the regulator. I checked all the fuses and they all look good and clean. I checked the resistance in the stator and am getting .2

The resistance is supposed to be .01 to .1 I think I read on here?
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
You should have battery voltage on this third wire with either the key on or off at the regulator
This is a MUST have for the system to work, Your going to have to dig deeper and find out why you don't have power/battery voltage to the regulator. Possibly a faulty ignition switch ? Broken/pulled out wire ? Something is interrupting power going to the regulator.

Until you get battery power to the regulator there's no need in worrying about the stator.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
This is a MUST have for the system to work, Your going to have to dig deeper and find out why you don't have power/battery voltage to the regulator. Possibly a faulty ignition switch ? Broken/pulled out wire ? Something is interrupting power going to the regulator.

Until you get battery power to the regulator there's no need in worrying about the stator.....


Good call on that Rob! Had no voltage past the fuse holder. For what ever reason one female prong in the holder wasn't making good contact with the fuse. Squeezed it so the fuse is tight and now she is pumping out 14.3 volts to the battery.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.06281 seconds with 7 queries