Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kawasaki 15hp twin no voltage going to regulator

I all these years in this business I have never run into this problem. Also electrical is not my strong suit. So anyway the 15hp kawi is not charging on our 34Z this spring. Worked fine when we parked it late last fall.

I put a volt meter on the plug coming from under the engine cover that plugs into the regulator. I get nothing at all from that plug. I also checked the 3rd wire going to the regulator and also nothing. At this point what is the issue likely to be? Having never had this problem before now the charging system beyond the regulator is new to me on these machines. I think I understand the theory on how they work but not 100% sure.

Am I looking at a failed stator maybe?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have two wires coming from the stator that plugs to the regulator, The third wire activates the regulator and is also the path for re-charging the battery.

You should have battery voltage on this third wire with either the key on or off at the regulator, If you don't check for a blown fuse/broke or corroded wire/connections.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
You have two wires coming from the stator that plugs to the regulator, The third wire activates the regulator and is also the path for re-charging the battery.

You should have battery voltage on this third wire with either the key on or off at the regulator, If you don't check for a blown fuse/broke or corroded wire/connections.....

I am not getting anything from any of the 3 wires at the regulator. I checked all the fuses and they all look good and clean. I checked the resistance in the stator and am getting .2

The resistance is supposed to be .01 to .1 I think I read on here?
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You should have battery voltage on this third wire with either the key on or off at the regulator
This is a MUST have for the system to work, Your going to have to dig deeper and find out why you don't have power/battery voltage to the regulator. Possibly a faulty ignition switch ? Broken/pulled out wire ? Something is interrupting power going to the regulator.

Until you get battery power to the regulator there's no need in worrying about the stator.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This is a MUST have for the system to work, Your going to have to dig deeper and find out why you don't have power/battery voltage to the regulator. Possibly a faulty ignition switch ? Broken/pulled out wire ? Something is interrupting power going to the regulator.

Until you get battery power to the regulator there's no need in worrying about the stator.....

Good call on that Rob! Had no voltage past the fuse holder. For what ever reason one female prong in the holder wasn't making good contact with the fuse. Squeezed it so the fuse is tight and now she is pumping out 14.3 volts to the battery.
2004 Gravely 34Z