Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

How to Bid laying Sod

Have a customer that has a leak in his sprinkler system & his yard is low towards the side walk. He wants to bring in soil & bring the grade of the yard even with the side walk & then put Sod over the new soil & the part that is being dug up to fix the sprinkler leak. I figure right at 3 yards of soil & 1 pallet of Sod + the cost of fixing the sprinkler leak

Also how would you bid fixing sprinkler leaks. I fixed about 4 last year & charged him $60 per leak with materials. Is this standard?

What is the standard cost to lay 1 pallet of sod? Say I have a customer who wants 4 pallets laid. How would you bid laying a pallet
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

For sod I charge 200-300 per pallet + whatever the sod cost. A pallet of sod should take one person roughly an hour to lay. Fixing leaks I would just charge by the hour+material. Although its good to have a minimum.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hunting down and repairing a leak is something that could take 5 minutes, or 5 hours. I agree with hourly rate + materials and a $XX minimum charge
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question when you charge by the hour do you just say "I'm not sure how long this will take me I will have to do it by and hourly rate" or do you give them an approximate price thinking how long it will take to find the leak and such?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Always better to give a price for the job.

If you charge $60 hr, job takes 8 hours, material $1,000 so you tell the customer $1,480. People will pay you.

Now tell the customer that you are going to pick up and put down pieces of sod for $60 and hour they will say you are robbing them. Many people do not respect physical work.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Always better to give a price for the job.

If you charge $60 hr, job takes 8 hours, material $1,000 so you tell the customer $1,480. People will pay you.

Now tell the customer that you are going to pick up and put down pieces of sod for $60 and hour they will say you are robbing them. Many people do not respect physical work.
That's exactly what I was thinking. So you pretty much just give them a estimate of what you think it would take. No some don't respect hard labor, sometimes I just want to be like well why don't you do it yourself? Hahah
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dirt level with the sidewalk,,, THEN lay the sod on top of that???

charge them for the heads-up of NOT violating the first principle of matching lawn to hardscapes... that is also save the $100 so charge them $100 for that bit of advice...