Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Engineered retaining wall - to level the yard

Hi All,
Thank you for helping us out.
We are about to close on a house that is situated on a sloped lot. The builder agreed to put in an engineered retaining wall in order to level our yard, however when we requested to include a drwing with measurements - the seller side provided with 2 options, both mentioning a sloped yard...
Is it true that a slope is absolute must for drainage? How bad will the result be? Can you feel a 2-3 degree slope? Do you see anything alarming in the drawings? Which option should we choose to gain as close to "leveled yard" as possible?
Thank you for your help!
RG
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

An adequate slope is 1" for every 7' - 10' on hard smooth surfaces, like plumbing, parking lots and patios... it is also adequate for lawns...
only problem with that much fresh fill, you are going to experience uneven settling in odd places over the course of years...
If you try to go with perfectly level you'll experience standing water and possibly overbearing pressure against this wall... it will be interesting to see how it stands up against the first winter heaving episode... even with the correct pitch...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Smallaxe, we didn't realize that a slope is mandatory... Will probably request a slope starting the patio itself without the sudden drops mid-yard... Unless there are any considerations in favor of option 3 that allows more leveled space closer to the patio.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't read what your diagrams say... looks like 1 foot drop over 10 foot distance on one and the other is a 1ft. drop over a 4ft. distance...

Why are they NOT starting at the patio and doing a 1 inch drop every 7-10 ft.???
Not sure why such a steep slope is necessary...
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Smallaxe,
That what we requested, to start from the patio and proceed all the way to the wall, as leveled as possible - they insisted that gradual slope of 2' overall is a must. However, since the distance is almost 70' - it should not be larger than 7 inches drop...They do insist on these 2' drop... And claim it will not be bad... What do you think Smallaxe? 2.5 degrees angle - will it even be noticeable?
It has been going on around these 2' vs 3' drop for more than a week, and the builder insists... I am attaching a picture of how it looks now, maybe it will give a better idea... Sorry for the quality, there is a patio edge seen on the left.. Sorry for the quality...
Many thanks!
Quan
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quan, You say you are about ready to close. I dont know what your time line is but I would want the retaining wall installed before closing
Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for your help Ztman! I probably used the wrong term - we are discussing the details before proceeding and signing the sales agreement, the closing will be after the wall, yard and fence are completed.
Since this is a high ~10' wall - we also requested an engineer signoff and will bring in a home inspector before closing. Any other actions we should take before closing?
Many thanks!
Quan
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There must be something special about the home that you like, because I wouldnt buy a home on a lot with that much fill with a stepped down foundation. I saw your prior thread, and a pic of another retaining wall that was built. Wall is huge, and if the builder does it right it will not be cheap. How are they going to access the back yard to get the fill in place?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

the house has a basement, I believe one of the reasons is the lot itself. As for the access - the adjusent lot is still vacant, so they will probably access the back-future-yard from there.
As for the picture - I found it online, this is not one of the neighbouring homes. I think the neighbours have a lower wall installed, and there are quite a few - so the builder or the SC they use must have the appropriate experience.
And you are right, we do like house, but the current yard was the main deal breaker - we really need a good yard... I will try to find the picture of neighbouring houses...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting a little off topic from your original question, but I assume its a walk out basement and they were able to build the basement because of the filled lot. Appears that there is atleast ten feet of fill on the lot. Regarding the home, I would want to see the geo tech report showing how much fill was placed on the lot and the compaction test done on the lot in the footer area. They should have field notes showing how the soil was compacted in lifts, and what the results were.