Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris 3100 Positives/Negatives

Considering purchasing a new Ferris 3100 61" iCD with 36 hp.

Just after any positives and negatives from ppl who currently own and operate this model. Im reading good things about the cut quality & of course great things about the ride. Bored with searching through old posts, thought theres no harm starting a new thread to get a some fresh opinions.

Also was hoping for some tips on selecting the best engine, I cut lawns as frequently as possible, majority would be fortnighly cut. I rarely, if ever, cut very long grass & if I do its always cut high then I work it down over the next visits. I currently have a 60" deck with 31hp kawa, I find this is ample power and havnt had a situation where I would need or want more as yet. But the hydro pumps on existing mower are 12cc, Im told the ferris has 16cc & is also 80 or so kg heavier. For those of you who have the 61" 3100, do you have the 36hp or 30hp & how do you find the power of what you have.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Positives:
Good ride, short and compact, good cut, heavy duty spindles,

Negative:
Deck could be thicker, hydraulics are stiffer than mine, the new seat sits lower and I have to lean over to see the trimming side of the deck( gonna put the suspension insert under the seat to raise me up so I can see it better)

I love mine for 95 percent of comerrcial mowing it has a fast enough ground speed.. Mine run 13 plus.. They GPS at 13.5 but I say thirteen becuase a GPS can be off a little... I have two of them both 61" one of them has the 37 DFI and the other has the 32 vanguard both have plenty of power
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Positives:
Good ride, short and compact, good cut, heavy duty spindles,

Negative:
Deck could be thicker, hydraulics are stiffer than mine, the new seat sits lower and I have to lean over to see the trimming side of the deck( gonna put the suspension insert under the seat to raise me up so I can see it better)

I love mine for 95 percent of comerrcial mowing it has a fast enough ground speed.. Mine run 13 plus.. They GPS at 13.5 but I say thirteen becuase a GPS can be off a little... I have two of them both 61" one of them has the 37 DFI and the other has the 32 vanguard both have plenty of power
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Choppin! I havent looked at the deck in person yet, but from the images online I was thinking the deck didnt look as heavy duty as Id prefer. I will have a close look at that. Does yours have the 360degree anti scalp rollers on the front. Having to lean over to trim around buildings etc could be a pain, but good to know its easily fixed & the solution to that actually gives a more comfortable ride, thats handy.

The speed sounds great, I was thinking it was only 12 Mph by what they have on the site, but now I check that I can see its based on 80% efficiency, but anyway 13mph sounds great. Do you find the fuel usage to be very similar between those 2 engines? Apparently DFI doesnt give much difference between carb injection due to DFI squirting in the same amount of fuel at lower rpms. That could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a ferris 3100z last month. My mower has a 37kaw and a high back seat with a suspension kit that makes the seat a bit higher. I will have to say that this machine leaves a better finished apperiance than my JD z 950. The JD leaves an excellent cut but the ferris leaves a more manicured tight look.the ride is amazing and u feel good at the end of the day. I cannot get this machine to scalp at all.I will be sticking with the ferris brand
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I just bought a ferris 3100z last month. My mower has a 37kaw and a high back seat with a suspension kit that makes the seat a bit higher. I will have to say that this machine leaves a better finished apperiance than my JD z 950. The JD leaves an excellent cut but the ferris leaves a more manicured tight look.the ride is amazing and u feel good at the end of the day. I cannot get this machine to scalp at all.I will be sticking with the ferris brand
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to hear you have such a positive view on the cut quality! from what Ive been reading the JD gives a very good cut, so if you believe your getting a better cut than that, then we cant do much better. Pleased to know you cant get it to scalp!

What was your main reason for going with the ferris? Do you have a few rough properties & needed a better ride.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't recall if you had the Pro std deck, or the MOD deck on your 950, but I can tell you firsthand that the MOD deck is more tightly baffled than the std deck, and it leaves a more mincured look like the UC deck, yet works much better in wet or damp conditions. If you look at the underside of the MOD deck and the ICD, they almost look like twins as far as the front baffling.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of mine has the 360 anti scalp and one dosnt... Neither deck scalps... The deck has plenty bracing so it will prob be fine.. They seem to be the same but the vanguard isn't broke in yet to realy tell about the fuel usage
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
One of mine has the 360 anti scalp and one dosnt... Neither deck scalps... The deck has plenty bracing so it will prob be fine.. They seem to be the same but the vanguard isn't broke in yet to realy tell about the fuel usage
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds good. cheers

Im not sure if we have the DFI option here in Aus, I think we only get the 30hp & 36hp, not to mention the RRP of $16900 for the 36hp 61"

I've read that you guys are paying around the 10-10.5k
Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Sounds good. cheers

Im not sure if we have the DFI option here in Aus, I think we only get the 30hp & 36hp, not to mention the RRP of $16900 for the 36hp 61"

I've read that you guys are paying around the 10-10.5k
I would rather have a Vanguard i would go with the 36 if you can't get a 32, I feel like 32 is the minimum for the 3100... Which in normal weekly cutting the 30 would prob be suffice with better fuel effeicency... And yes I Paid 10,500 for both of mine...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to run the 72" version with the 32 vanguard. We didn't mow overgrown properties by any means, but we did mow a walmart that had a super steep hill along the north side of the property. The 32 didn't struggle at all with running the deck and climbing the incline at the same time. I wouldn't think you would ever need more than the 32 on the 61" deck. The machine can only process so much material at a given time. I would think anything over 32 would be overkill.