Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sulfur as last application to prevent snow mold...?

A few application Co. here including one of the Big Co. Offers this but they are not doing a pH test....?

What exactly are they using and why no pH test...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not heard of this, waiting for more to chime in.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing permanently changes pH anyways and they are probably not using enough to make much of a difference... I would imagine it is the same idea as my use of wettable sulfur dust on the rose bushes for the purpose of preventing the spread of leaf spot...

The real issue is the idea of doing something about snow mold anyways,,, IMO... it is about as necessary as offering a soap application for the dust accumulated on the leaves after a drought.... just another excuse to sell the client something they don't need...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

On one of my accounts I acquired last Autum that looked like it was struggling I really poured on a heavy application of 20-7-14 slow release right at the same time as irrigation blowout along with a core aeration.

I have pics that will be used for my "don't pull the plug on your lawn this Fall campaign".

The client was hesitant about to but agreed.

I have never been such a happy camper mowing tall grass in the Spring.

...anyhow long story short NO SNOW MOLD & ZERO NEED FOR POWER RAKING.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 04-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
On one of my accounts I acquired last Autum that looked like it was struggling I really poured on a heavy application of 20-7-14 slow release right at the same time as irrigation blowout along with a core aeration.

I have pics that will be used for my "don't pull the plug on your lawn this Fall campaign".

The client was hesitant about to but agreed.

I have never been such a happy camper mowing tall grass in the Spring.

...anyhow long story short NO SNOW MOLD & ZERO NEED FOR POWER RAKING.
Posted via Mobile Device
Congratulations on your success in moving your community forward...

Interestingly enough THAT is what is recommended for cool season grasses...
http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization

I might be careful of the "slow release" part of your Fall application,,, becuz ideally,,, you don't want the residual of N releasing prills first thing in the Spring, just as the snow thaws... something to consider...
Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay....running full throttle today and prospective clients are asking about Fall sulfur treatment with my ap plans. Every lawn competitor has treated looks iffy as if nothing special was done...?

In fact my fert accounts that got less than the recommend Fall Nitrogen looks waaaaay better than the sulphur created lawns.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2013, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Okay....running full throttle today and prospective clients are asking about Fall sulfur treatment with my ap plans. Every lawn competitor has treated looks iffy as if nothing special was done...?

In fact my fert accounts that got less than the recommend Fall Nitrogen looks waaaaay better than the sulphur created lawns.

Posted via Mobile Device
Sulfur can burn foliage under the right conditions. There is labeling for some sulfur products to treat powdery mildew, rust and for management of Take All Patch. I use it strictly for soil pH correction and for supplementing sulfur levels when soil tests indicate a need. What kind of grass do you have out there? 100% KBG or colonial bent? Those fungicides I mentioned were evaluated for protection of bent grass golf greens and came out as the top performers. I am with Riggle. Would rather apply something that the grass can use. More like a moderate nitrogen liquid with potassium and micronutrients. I remember a past discussion about a liquid winterizer application. My suggestion was the above formula. It there is true disease pressure, one of the effective fungicide treatments should go in the tank as well.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sulfur is somewhat unpredictable as a fungicide. Sure it has some of those properties in that it lowers the pH to kill the fungi--however it will only have this effect IF the pH is under 5.6 and needs warm soil to be activated. Not a winter time game. One risks a dropping of pH so low that the and fertilize and nutrients will be locked up grass will thin or even die. A better solution would be the Heritage mix that Greendoctor recommended. Sulfur lying on the top of the ground in winter is also prone to interactions of other AI's that would be used in the spring such as pre-em. The two do not play well together--another prossible dead turf issue. I've seen all the above and would urge to think it through. Replacing sod would eliminate any profit from the sulfur application. Do your homework with a soil test with pH and check the buffering before amending the soil. You may be surprised. We don't have "Snow Mold" in the south, however the actions on fungi do not change that much.

Last edited by RAlmaroad; 10-24-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sulfer doesn't do much for grass unless it is high pH or something... little N, medium N, a lot of N are all relative... the amount of N the plant uses is generally different than the amount applied...

It is a good idea to keep your observations in the proper context, to make good judgements about them...

one thing that snap judgements have done for me is making me think I should add fertilizer right now because the grass is just coming out of dormancy and isn't brite green yet... it would be folly for me to fertilize the ground and I know it...
the rains are coming this week and that will tell the story after we get a mowing or 2 in,,, just how well we made it through the winter...

Resist the urge... have patience... wait on the Spring...
Very hard to do...
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm running up against this snow mold prevention special application of sulfur yet again. Each client I asked re: this application said no soil pH was done. Since I'm not offering this special add-on...?...?
Posted via Mobile Device