Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Applied Altrazine to growing Bermuda lawn! Help!

I made a boneheaded move. I applied "Scotts Bonus S Weed & Feed" to my Bermuda lawn yesterday. So now, I learn that altrazine is in it and that it is essentially an herbicide for Bermuda.

Is there anything can be done to help save the bermuda? Have you guys ever heard of this happening? What was the outcome? My lawn is about 60-70% "greened up" if that helps.

I called my local extension office but their agent is out of town. Also called Scotts and they didn't have any recommendations. Actually, the guy I spoke with said he's had cases where it didn't hard the Bermuda lawn, but maybe he was just trying to make me feel better.

Anyhow, I feel really stupid about it. Normally, I'm very good about reading labels, but I just saw "southern weed & feed" and turned my brain off after that. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bermuda is tough, you have to really try to do any damage to it. Activated charcoal is your best bet to neutralize unwanted chemical's. At a minimum you can water heavily, but don't expect much from that.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hor...ctivation.html
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Atrazine is a Syngenta chemical (Atrex), there are a bunch of generics on the market....look up who the local Syngenta ag chemical rep is, and call them. If they don't know the answer, ask them to talk to their tech rep. The will be able to get an answer for you...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Otherwise healthy bermuda can take a low rate of atrazine applied once. It might turn a little yellow or even brown, but grows back pretty fast. The granular form on fertilizer is not as hot as a spray application. Especially if you stayed within the label rates of the fertilizer. When atrazine is being used to kill bermuda in St Augustine, that involves high rates applied 30 days apart and in combination with another herbicide known to be toxic to bermuda. It might be different if this was done to a lawn not on irrigation. Dried out lawns dependent on erratic rainfall are not the same as lawns getting 1" of water per week guaranteed.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the replies.

UPDATE;
The yard was actually looking great the last few days, but I noticed this morning that there are a few small yellow-ish spots. Not bad at all, but a little worried it might get worse. But, the good thing is that the lawn doesn't look near as bad as I thought. I literally thought I'd come home from work and find a yellow lawn, with all the blades laying sideways and/or shedding off - haha.

Also, I ended up talking to my county's extension office and he said pretty much the same thing as you guys: "Bermuda is resilient, and should grow back".

So, I'll try to get a picture for you all, if you're curious. I know I was dying for a picture when I was researching this topic.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You set the your lawn back 2-3 week's, it will be fine. Aren't you glad bermuda is so forgiving? If it was a cool season grass like fescue you would be looking at bare soil.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't know, but I hate Scotts. I went organic last year. No worries about over applying, burning, etc. Synthetics like Scotts do nothing but harm in the long run for your soil, in my opinion. I apply Milorganite at about 30 lbs per 1000 sq feet every 4 weeks and sometimes throw in an application of soybean meal in between.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod78 View Post
Don't know, but I hate Scotts. I went organic last year. No worries about over applying, burning, etc. Synthetics like Scotts do nothing but harm in the long run for your soil, in my opinion. I apply Milorganite at about 30 lbs per 1000 sq feet every 4 weeks and sometimes throw in an application of soybean meal in between.
Using Milorganite on Bermuda?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antv20 View Post
Using Milorganite on Bermuda?
I'm using it on Zoysia, but if I had bermuda I'd use it on that too.