Register free!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Arrow Wall guys chime in

Heres a wall i looked at today. I think its obvious what I want to avoid once i complete a rebuild. Im reusing the stones. they are nice and solid still. Ive been involved in builds like this in the past when I worked at another company but I dont think thier backfill methods were ever what they should have been. Some crusher behind it and that was usually about it. This wall was built right up against soil. And Im guessing it was done a long time ago. It also appears to have been built flush and not stepped.

Aside from a new solid base, stone backfill, drainage pipe behind it..?, and stepping the stones back towards the higher portion of land. what other methods would you impliment towards building a wall that will remain in place for years to come. Any "geo grid" type material to separate the stone and soil? Or would you leave that for the block walls? I just dont want to lose sleep at night once im done with this thinking i didnt do something i otherwise should have. I was also toying with the idea of moving the wall forward some rather than digging back. What do you guys think? All suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only 19" high?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would do as you said, footing, back fill crushed rock, and drain pipe.

I would not step the wall back if you are reusing the same rocks. It would would not add anything structurally or aesthetically.

Though those stones are not as heavy as the blocks sold to make walls and those stones do not fit as flush to each other so less friction to help keep them in place. That wall looks as if if gets stepped and sat on which always causes those stones to shift until they fall.

So along with the footing, back fill and drain pipe I would suggest that you use construction adhesive to help secure those stones in place.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Building these walls paid for my house....... Drystack fieldstone love it. If you use glue like suggested ill dope slap you......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Building these walls paid for my house....... Drystack fieldstone love it. If you use glue like suggested ill dope slap you......
Posted via Mobile Device
I like these walls too. They can be fun walls to build where block walls stress me out lol

Ive never seen them glued before either, Maybe he is suggesting just glueing caps? I dont know

my biggest concern is the best way I can backfill this. I know the basics, stone, pipe, good base etc. I just want to know how far back I should fill with stone,how high to the wall, and location of the pipe in relation to the wall. I guess a geo grid type material is not used on these types of walls due to all the room between stones for water to weep through. am i correct in that assumption or not?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, i see your point on the no stepping them back thing. makes sense. So your recommending I glue those stones? Some? All?

How far back behind the wall would you fill with stone? And how high to the back of the wall? Also, does the location of the drain pipe matter? Low in back up against wall, middle of wall, further away from wall? etc...

Like I said, Ive been on builds of these before for a past company, but the backfill methods were just dumping some crusher in back, and filling with soil and calling it a day. I want to put a little more thought into this than that hence all the Q's. thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What type.of soil is this wall holding do you have a high or low watertable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure i can answer your question really...but what i do know is this wall and yard in general is much higher than the driveway i pulled into. the back yard is high up compared to the front yard.

heres a pic of a set of stairs at this house, i might have to relay a few once some power lines are installed and steps are removed to do so. the walls are in the back yard. so its pretty high up back there comepared to everything else.

i cant see water being too much of an issue with how high it is, but heck there is a well right there at the end of the wall. so gotta be some water i guess
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pic homeowner sent me before i went out there

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of clear stone behind the wall, a geo to separate(stone and soil) and your good to go. Bigger stones on the bottom, overlap as much as possible, add fine stone dust or granular between layers to help solidify. And no glue.
Dope slap...now thats a new one