Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker MBS reviews?

Hey guys, I currently run two walker mt's for my residential properties and a 66" super z for commercial. I'm looking to reduce my dependency on bagging and potentially trade one of the ghs models in or sell it outright to help finance a mbs with the 60" deck. I have read a lot about the different engine configurations and have talked to my local dealers a small amount, but I have not been able to find many marginally acceptable reviews online that cover the machine. I'm looking for people who have real world experience with them, in all different cutting conditions. I'm mainly concerned with heavy spring growth cutting, and thick wet weeds. I have operated the older 62" sd mowers from the late 90's and they cut great when its dry. Obviously I'm concerned about the clumping/discharge of wet material as I'm trying to eliminate bagging to speed up my productivity.

I have considered other brands, Ferris being one of them simply for the ride quality, as well as the new gravely 460. I have experience with the 3100z and it is an amazing machine, but the dealer just priced me at $12,5xx for the 61" model, a little steep if you ask me when I can get an MBS for a little over 10k. The only Gravely dealer is about an hour from me, so its a little out of the way, but I would like to at least give it a look.

If anyone can chime in and give some feedback on how they are liking the MBS I would be very appreciative.

Last edited by CurbAppealKS; 04-23-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No one?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Luv'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Hey guys, I currently run two walker mt's for my residential properties and a 66" super z for commercial. I'm looking to reduce my dependency on bagging and potentially trade one of the ghs models in or sell it outright to help finance a mbs with the 60" deck. I have read a lot about the different engine configurations and have talked to my local dealers a small amount, but I have not been able to find many marginally acceptable reviews online that cover the machine. I'm looking for people who have real world experience with them, in all different cutting conditions. I'm mainly concerned with heavy spring growth cutting, and thick wet weeds. I have operated the older 62" sd mowers from the late 90's and they cut great when its dry. Obviously I'm concerned about the clumping/discharge of wet material as I'm trying to eliminate bagging to speed up my productivity.

I have considered other brands, Ferris being one of them simply for the ride quality, as well as the new gravely 460. I have experience with the 3100z and it is an amazing machine, but the dealer just priced me at $12,5xx for the 61" model, a little steep if you ask me when I can get an MBS for a little over 10k. The only Gravely dealer is about an hour from me, so its a little out of the way, but I would like to at least give it a look.

If anyone can chime in and give some feedback on how they are liking the MBS I would be very appreciative.
Chirp, chirp, chirp... I guess there aren't too many MBS owners on here. Lucky for you I own 2 of them and absolutely love them! I'll try my best to provide you with some insight from my experience with them. I've wrote about the MBS and MB models in some previous post so forgive me if some of this is redundant. Like you I use to be dependent on bagging just about everything and when the economy started to crap I started looking away from the bagging walkers. We tried the Toro Grandstands with mulching kits with some good success but didn't find our total solution until we purchased a 52" rear discharge/mulching deck for our MBS. Wow what a game changer. The same for the MB with the 48" mulching deck.

Since you are asking about the MBS I will try to focus on it. We own a 2008 MBS with the 27hp and a 2011 MBSY with the Yanmar 23.?hp Diesel. Both are wonderful mowers. We bought the 08' with the 60'' SD deck. originally and loved the speed, maneuverability, and hill performance but was not thrilled with the cut quality and the way that the SD deck would wind rowed the grass. After we purchased the 52" DDR combo deck the mower was perfect. With the mulching/rear discharge deck the cut quality was great, we didn't have to worry about grass being thrown in the beds, and it just amazed how it handled tall wet thick grass. Yes with really tall wet grass you will have to double cut but when you are done it looks like you had bagged it. Definitely nicer than if you had side discharged it. We use it year round with no major difficulties. (feel free to PM me you phone # if you want to talk more about the cut quality. I could go on forever...) Also I think I heard a little birdie say that walker is working on a 62" or 64" DDR deck which would be good for you if you need a larger deck. The 52" is perfect for us.

Engine options... well I have a 27hp gas and the 23.?hp diesel and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. The diesel is nice when you need the torque and is better with fuel economy. The 27hp is lighter and slightly better on hills. One issue you need to be aware of with the 27hp, especially if you are using the rear discharge deck, is to make sure the intake screen on the engine stays clean of the grass clippings. It will tend to clog up in wet conditions and cause you engine to overheat. In my honest opinion, though I don't have one, I would bet the 29hp EFI would be the best engine option. I do have the 23hp EFI and 26hp EFI engines on our other Walkers and really like them better than the carb. engines.

If you have enjoyed your GHS units you will love these new MBS and MB mowers. They are faster, better on hills, and much simpler to work on. I would take them over a mid mount any day. Like I mentioned earlier, if you would like to talk in more detail just PM me and we'll try to catch up over the phone. I find it much easier that way. For those who haven't tried a MBS or a MB you really should take a look at them. They have been extremely productive for us.

Last edited by joemower; 04-24-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you very much for the honest response Joe. I had considered going the mb route as well. My thinking was this. I don't necessarily need two big side discharge. I could be more productive with a smaller side discharge/mulching as well as the 60" version. Right now what is holding me back productivity wise is the fact that I can really only run one mower on my larger properties. So eliminating a bagging mower would allow me to increase my productivity without really changing many things. I would keep the smaller deck width on the mb because so far I have been able to get through all he back yard gates with the 48". So instead of going with the mbs, I may look at keeping my super z for now, and shooting for the mbk 23 with the trade in from my ghs model. I feel this would be the most responsible/ least expensive way at making my business more profitable. I really have no complaints about the hustler, other than I would like to run the same brand at some point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Thank you very much for the honest response Joe. I had considered going the mb route as well. My thinking was this. I don't necessarily need two big side discharge. I could be more productive with a smaller side discharge/mulching as well as the 60" version. Right now what is holding me back productivity wise is the fact that I can really only run one mower on my larger properties. So eliminating a bagging mower would allow me to increase my productivity without really changing many things. I would keep the smaller deck width on the mb because so far I have been able to get through all he back yard gates with the 48". So instead of going with the mbs, I may look at keeping my super z for now, and shooting for the mbk 23 with the trade in from my ghs model. I feel this would be the most responsible/ least expensive way at making my business more profitable. I really have no complaints about the hustler, other than I would like to run the same brand at some point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good choice CurbApealKS! Out of all the Walkers I've ever owned the MBK 23 is my favorite. I also have a MBK 18 but the 23 is a bit nicer. This mower is very well balanced and has a extremely simple design. Simple to service and great on hills. Really a mighty little machine. My clients were very happy to see us bring the little yellow mower back after trying the red ones... I had spoiled them with the GHS Walkers for many years and they noticed the difference when we switched to the Toro GS's. Even though when we went back to Walkers using the mulching decks they still thought that we were bagging. They just knew the "yellow" mowers do a better job. The lawns are healthier from mulching too. You can always throw on a bigger deck if need be. Now is good time to pick one up since Sheffield is offering 0% loans on them. We are thinking of picking another on up now. Good luck!