Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Estimates

Can any of you share how you handle estimates?

I'm not here to complain but in the spring I get about 10-15 calls per day for estimates. If I miss a day because I'm too busy out in the field, then I'm struggling to catch up. I'm running around all day just doing estimates, will the rest of the business is suffering.

I thought I had a master plan of scheduling estimates one day out of the week (Friday), well that didn't work out. When I got to the office this morning I had 27 estimates that came in the last 2 days. If I don't do them now, by Friday I won't have enough hours in a day to complete them all.

Once again, I'm not complaining, just wondering how you guys deal with estimating.

Thanks for the tips

www.lawnguyslandcaping.com
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I try and schedule to be done with work by 3, then spend the next 4 hours doing whatever I need whether it be estimates of fixing equipment, etc.. If you are doing 10 estimates though that will be a challenge.... Kind of sounds like you need some help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm scared of getting help with the estimates. Not really confortable delegating that task just yet. I'm trying to make a spreadsheet where you would just enter the square feet of the property and it would give you a price. I'm having difficulties coming up with one because of all the details surrounding a property. Trimming, slope, ditch, amount of trees, can the big mower fit, travel time etc etc. Maybe your right, I do need help, I'm just scared. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seems Landscaping View Post
I'm scared of getting help with the estimates. Not really confortable delegating that task just yet. I'm trying to make a spreadsheet where you would just enter the square feet of the property and it would give you a price. I'm having difficulties coming up with one because of all the details surrounding a property. Trimming, slope, ditch, amount of trees, can the big mower fit, travel time etc etc. Maybe your right, I do need help, I'm just scared. Thanks for the input.
You just identified a whole bunch of variables that should be factored into your spreadsheet. Now, figure mathematically how they should impact your pricing equation and add those to your spreadsheet. Youre probably closer than you think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I meant help with the work in order to free up time to do estimates. I would never let a new guy give estimates!!! The spreadsheet idea isn't a good one as there are WAY too many factors to ensure you don't get screwed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I handled it by raising my prices and staying solo... I only take on new jobs as a favor, for the past xx years now...
Don't work harder,,, work smarter...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Can't do 'em all on Friday.

So why not finish doing them on Saturday?

I do not know the size of your business. Advertising budget. How much room is in your schedule to add more work.

Though I tend to lean that your pricing maybe a touch to low. along with you need to pre qualify customers on the phone.

Most landscapers have work that is not profitable for them to do. Are you taking on that type of work? Based on where your strengths are you may be best served by being more selective on who you are going to go take on as customers.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Can't do 'em all on Friday.

So why not finish doing them on Saturday?

I do not know the size of your business. Advertising budget. How much room is in your schedule to add more work.

Though I tend to lean that your pricing maybe a touch to low. along with you need to pre qualify customers on the phone.

Most landscapers have work that is not profitable for them to do. Are you taking on that type of work? Based on where your strengths are you may be best served by being more selective on who you are going to go take on as customers.
I don't think my prices are too low. I'm very selective in the customers I want and the jobs I want to do. That seems to be the problem, customers call 3-5 companies to provide estimates and pick the cheapest one. I will not beat any competitors prices. I have my own prices to pay my costs, myself and turn in a profit, which works for me. The problem is running around doing estimates.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would start ballparking them prices over the phone (or at least your minimum price) to weed some out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you hire help, they go give the estimates they can take photos and take notes about square footage, slopes, and anything else you need. give you the photos and notes they wrote. Than you make a proposal and send it to the customer within 24-48 hours. you can hire a kid (who is educated in math atleast, and common sense) and have him on a part time job doing this.