Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help with bare root planting.

I ordered a crape myrtle for a client of mine and will be planting today. I have never planted a bare root tree before. I have done some research but was wondering if any of you have any inside tips that may be helpful for me to keep in mind. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

(NOTICE! - These are steps on planting a DORMANT bare root tree. I never plant barefoot trees at any time except between november to march. The chances of your tree doing well this year -if living at all- are going to be very slim. If I was you I'd buy a new one that was NOT bare root.)

It's simple. You dig the hole to the appropriate depth (deeper if your soil quality is poor as you'll need to amend it or replace it with a good loam). Then you insert a tree stake into the ground in the hole so it stands vertically with the way the tree will be planted. Next put the tree in the hole and attach it via strap (rope wire etc) to the pole so that it is perfectly aligned with the stake. Then mix the soil you've taken out of the hole with proper planting compost, loam, sand etc (based on the soil condition - usually just planting compost works however I like to fully amend all soils I'm planting in to ensure the best results)

1999 GMC 2500 4x4 w/ 7'6" Western Unimount
48in Exmark Viking
Honda 21"
2x Redmax String Trimmiers
Redmax Blowers - 8050 & 8001
13hp Billy Goat Walk-behind Blower
Brown Bed Edger
Husqvarna 372XP
Husqvarna 327PT5S
Stihl 026
Snapper Snow Blower
Wheel Barrows & Hand Tools.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Lawn&Grounds View Post
(NOTICE! - These are steps on planting a DORMANT bare root tree. I never plant barefoot trees at any time except between november to march. The chances of your tree doing well this year -if living at all- are going to be very slim. If I was you I'd buy a new one that was NOT bare root.)

It's simple. You dig the hole to the appropriate depth (deeper if your soil quality is poor as you'll need to amend it or replace it with a good loam). Then you insert a tree stake into the ground in the hole so it stands vertically with the way the tree will be planted. Next put the tree in the hole and attach it via strap (rope wire etc) to the pole so that it is perfectly aligned with the stake. Then mix the soil you've taken out of the hole with proper planting compost, loam, sand etc (based on the soil condition - usually just planting compost works however I like to fully amend all soils I'm planting in to ensure the best results)
Really? Damn I didn't realize the success rate was so low. I always thought bare root was the way to go. Spring is just now arriving here in Kansas City so I hope I'm not too late!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dig hole. Make a small "volcano" in the bottom of hole. Spread roots out over the top and down sides of volcano. Backfill and gently firm soil, keeping the stem at the correct depth. Stake and water.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You would be better off to buy one in a nursery pot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All the nurseries around here seem to think I'm not gonna have any issues. I guess we'll just see how it goes.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
All the nurseries around here seem to think I'm not gonna have any issues. I guess we'll just see how it goes.
I dont see any issue as well. I have planted over 1,000 plants bare-root, and have great success. If you spread the roots out correctly, you'll have no issue with root girdling that is common with B&B and container grown plants. I prefer bare-root.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not a big deal. I have a nursery and we potted 1000 barefoot this spring already. I never have had an issue but that's just me I guess. I no reason why you can't do it or can't have success at it.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The leaves on this tree are beginning to turn black and shrivel up. Is that normal?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No, that's not normal. Get it planted ASAP.