Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco 15-0-15 or Fertilome 15-0-15 for Centipede?

Lesco 15-0-15 or Fertilome 15-0-15 for Centipede?

The Lesco 15-0-15 is $31.78 for a 50 lb. bag at Home Depot but the Home Depot is an hour and fifteen minutes away in Greenville, NC.

The Fertilome 15-0-15 is $24.95 for a 20 lb. bag at my local farm supply store which is 10 minutes away.

I don't know what the Lesco costs at John Deere Landscapes...does anyone know?...It is also in Greenville.

I guess it would be worth the trip for a large quantity.

Is the Lesco that much better than the Fertilome?

Is there a cheaper alternative that I might could find locally?

Thank You,

Rod
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC
Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many bags do you need. 31.78 compared to like 63 seems like a no brainer unless you only need 20 lbs for your own lawn or I'm missing something. Lesco/JD should be significantly cheaper than HD.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your potassium source. Should not be derived from muriate of potash. Too much chlorine there. Your grass will not tolerate it and die slowly. Your best would be potassium nitrate. Potassium sulfate is available in many of the Lesco products which is not quite so bad. It's hard to find at some stores. 14-2-14 Lesco number 098323. At least check the analysis for chlorine percentage before doing anything further. potassium nitrate is available in liquid soluble form and is product of choice for centipede. Write is need further info.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Check your potassium source. Should not be derived from muriate of potash. Too much chlorine there. Your grass will not tolerate it and die slowly. Your best would be potassium nitrate. Potassium sulfate is available in many of the Lesco products which is not quite so bad. It's hard to find at some stores. 14-2-14 Lesco number 098323. At least check the analysis for chlorine percentage before doing anything further. potassium nitrate is available in liquid soluble form and is product of choice for centipede. Write is need further info.
What is an acceptable chlorine %. My town only sells sur gro I think with 12% chlorine if I'm not mistaken. Not sure on the source. Also was thinking of using 16 4 8 for a slower release.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
What is an acceptable chlorine %. My town only sells sur gro I think with 12% chlorine if I'm not mistaken. Not sure on the source. Also was thinking of using 16 4 8 for a slower release.
Before I'd put chlorine based potassium on centipede, I'd drive out-of-state to find a product. Where are you located? Southern Ag, in Hendersonville, NC will ship it to you. Check for a John Deere Landscape or CPS. Check out their website. To answer you question--None--I've seen many lawns just slowly die or what is called decline. Centipede is a continuing propagating grass but it will die from a bad diet. If you don't believe me, there's an expert that I can professor and expert that will back me up.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would rather spray a mix consisting of 1 lb potassium nitrate, 2 lb 21-0-0 and soluble iron at label rates before spreading any of the above fertilizers on centipede. Those rate are per 1000 sq ft either applied in 5 or more gallons or applied concentrated and irrigated in right away. The common bagged turf fertilizers contain urea and potassium chloride. Neither of those two materials are any good for centipede.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could also substitute solution grade sulfate of potash at the same rate, but note that it is harder to get into solution and 1 lb is soluble in 10 gallons not like the potassium nitrate where 1 lb will dissolve in 1 gallon.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have equipment for spraying fertilizers. Is there a comparable granular formula??
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look for greens grade fertilizers. Usually they are high potassium and lower nitrogen. Be prepared to pay up to $60 a bag. This is why I spray everything. One bag of potassium nitrate will cover up to an acre of lawn. The low analysis fertilizers will need up to 5 bags per acre.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Look for greens grade fertilizers. Usually they are high potassium and lower nitrogen. Be prepared to pay up to $60 a bag. This is why I spray everything. One bag of potassium nitrate will cover up to an acre of lawn. The low analysis fertilizers will need up to 5 bags per acre.
Greens grade fertilizers are usually high in K and low in N? Are you sure?

'Greens Grade' simply means that the fert has a small particle size, so it is less disruptive to golf putting play than larger prill sizes. They SGN is usually near 100.

I've bought greens grade 0-0-62 and greens grade 46-0-0 and any analysis in between. But, I think everyone here is too caught up in the specific analysis, as if it means a darn. The specific analysis doesn't mean squat -- it's the amount of nutrient you're applying that actually means something.

You can use any analysis to get to your final application amount. The type of equipment you have, the size of the lawn, how much product you can carry, and the cost of the product (among others) are all factors that go into your analysis decision.

As for N source, it really doesn't matter. Centipedegrass generally performs better in slightly acidic soils (pH 5.0, give or take), but research from the University of Hawaii shows that N source doesn't impact centipedegrass performance. If your soils are less acidic than centipedegrass would prefer, you can use an acidifying fertilizer to help get things where they should be. But, saying that centipedegrass prefers one N source over another is an old wives' tale.