Register free!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ESP-SMT Watering Restriction programming question

I've talked to a couple of people about this and gotten a couple of different answers, I'll probably have to configure this on my own to see what happens but thought I'd ask here before doing that.

We have a purveyor that only allows watering 2x a week forever and ever but they're allowed watering window spans from 8P - 4A. So I'm trying to setup the SMT to accommodate that but I'm concerned about how it's actually going to work.

So say I'm allowed to water from 8P Sun - 4A Mon. If I allow watering on Sunday and Monday and set my watering window to 8P - 4A, will the controller still water on Sun between 12:01A and 4A and Mon between 8P and 11:59P when it shouldn't or is it smart enough to know that the watering window is meant only to span the Sun/Mon period?

In the meantime I've been setting them to water only on Mon between 12A - 4A, which is enough time for most of the residential systems I'm dealing with but I'd really prefer an answer that lets me give it the entire available watering window.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can water Sun 8 PM - Mon 4 AM Set your controller to start Sun at 8 PM. If your total run time equals 8 hrs. then the cycle will finish at 4 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want the SMT to make its own watering decisions, not use the time based watering, so I need to tell it what the allowed watering times are, not give it a start time.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will your root zone/soil reservoir hold enough useable water with just twice a week watering?

In the heat of the summer will the smt try to apply almost 1" of water per watering day? Can your soil absorb that much water?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Will your root zone/soil reservoir hold enough useable water with just twice a week watering?

In the heat of the summer will the smt try to apply almost 1" of water per watering day? Can your soil absorb that much water?
It really doesn't matter what the answers to these questions are because the purveyor gets to make the rules and their rule is water 2x a week only. But, the answers are -

It depends, at this property yes.

It will try to apply as much water as it thinks it needs, if that's 1", that's what it will try to do but it will cycle/soak based on the soil type (which we tell it during setup). This site has loamy sand so getting that much water in wouldn't be a problem with an 8 hour window, or even the 4 I've been giving it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is not that "smart", which you can see per the manuals example on page 18. There are two allowed water time windows .... use them .... again per example on page 18.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The example on Page 18 assumes that I only have time restrictions, not time and day restrictions. I have both and they happen to span 2 days.

I need it to water between 8P Sun and 4A Mon and not water between 12A - 4A Sun or 8P - 11:59P Mon.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
The example on Page 18 assumes that I only have time restrictions, not time and day restrictions. I have both and they happen to span 2 days.

I need it to water between 8P Sun and 4A Mon and not water between 12A - 4A Sun or 8P - 11:59P Mon.
Read the manual again bcg.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Read the manual again bcg.
I did, it still doesn't address my issue. I'm not restricted to odd/even, I'm restricted to a time window that spans 2 days.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I did, it still doesn't address my issue. I'm not restricted to odd/even, I'm restricted to a time window that spans 2 days.
You may have read it, but you didn't understand it. The allowed water times doesn't have to be "even".